The goals continue to rain in at St Helens Town – 51 in nine matches – but at least they returned to winning ways on Saturday, beating Barnoldswick 4-3 having surrendered a first half lead and let in another four goals on Tuesday, going down 4-2 to a useful-looking Stockport side at Brocstedes Park. S

Spectators are certainly getting full value for their fiver these days and if it’s goals you want to see, you know where to come!

Tuesday’s first half was an even affair until the 40th minute when James Rushton-Woods scored emphatically from the penalty spot after Aaron Morris had been hacked down turning into the visitors’ box.

From that moment on, it was all Stockport and they controlled virtually the whole of the second period.

From a corner kick in the 62nd minute, big forward Ben Halfacre buried a ferocious shot in the back of Town’s net from 20 yards for the equaliser from a corner and Marcos Fortana scored a second with his head five minutes later.

The points were secured after a long ball from the right wing was met by Halfacre for his second goal in the 73rd minute.

With the game all but lost, Karl Bergqvist, Marcus Perry and Paul Cook-Hannah came off the bench to inject a little more energy up front and Town pulled a goal back when Andy Gillespie rounded two defenders out near the corner flag then placed a pin-point cross to the feet of Chris Cottington, playing in midfield, who scored neatly from the edge of the penalty area, making it 2-3 with 14 minutes left.

However, it came as no surprise when Stockport broke through Sam Marshall, whose crossfield ball was met by Adam Gardiner, who netted easily in the closing minutes.

The goalfest continued unabated on Saturday and Barnoldswick opened their account from a free kick as early as the third minute, Chris Ridehalgh following up from an unsuccessful clearance to score an easy goal.

Town had a few half-chances to level the scores, before Karl Bergqvist turned the Barlick full-back Carl Ellerton inside out, before entering the penalty box and lashing home the equaliser midway through the half.

The visitors roared back and a goal-bound shot was headed away from point blank range by Hamish Falconer and the score remained 1-1 at the interval.

Eight minutes after the re-start, Paul Cook-Hannah was booked for a push in the box and Mark Threlfall sent young Town keeper Rory Crowther the wrong way to put Barlick 2-1 ahead from the spot-kick.

In an amazing spell of six minutes, four goals went in, turning the game on its head and catapulting St. Helens into a 4-3 lead.

From a corner in the 62nd minute, Rushton-Woods found Morris whose header went like a bullet into the net to draw Town level and, two minutes later, Jack McKay capitalised on a defensive blunder, burst through from 40 yards, drew keeper Chris Taylor and finished well to put Town into the lead for the first time at 3-2.

Another two minutes passed before Ridehalgh headed past Crowther making it 3-3.

But back came Town and two minutes on, from a copybook Rushton-Woods corner, Morris headed the ball back and the on-rushing Andy Gillespie kneed past Taylor to restore Town’s lead at 4-3.

An FA Cup replay for 1874 Northwich on Saturday meant that last Tuesday’s game at Winsford’s Barton Stadium was postponed, leaving Town seven days to prepare for Saturday’s FA Vase First Round Qualifying tie at Irlam, with a return to league fixtures on Tuesday with a visit from Abbey Hey (7.45).