Prescot Cables 3 Salford City 1



First published in Sport
Last updated

Prescot Cables ended their season in style with this second consecutive home win at Valerie Park in a fast exciting game.

Manager Dave Powell made three changes from the side which had lost at Warrington on Easter Monday. Cairns, Kennedy and Brooks replacing Balazs, Foy and Robinson.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End. Salford won a free kick early on which was taken by Williams and was well taken by Richie Mottram in the Cables goal.

The early exchanges were scrappy as both teams struggled to keep the ball and over hit long passes out of play. Cables eventually got into the game and Phil Bannister played a neat one two with Isaac Kusaloka but was caught in possession as he attempted to move into the penalty area.

Cables then resorted to the long ball tactic playing it over the top of the Salford back four for Kusaloka but Salford keeper Collins-Reed was first to the ball. James Cairns then played the ball down the right for Kusaloka and Salford centre back Gaskin appeared to control the ball with his hand as he took it away from Kusaloka.

A long ball out of defence by Salford left back Moss for Williams was cleared by Mottram as Salford looked to punish Cables on the counter attack. On 24 minutes Cables created their first clear opportunity when King put Doran through but instead of shooting he tried to square the ball for Kusaloka and the Salford defence cleared for a corner.

On 29 minutes Salford created an opportunity when Rother put Williams through on goal but Richie Mottram saved well. Cables responded with another long ball out of defence for Kusaloka who advanced into the penalty area before firing a powerful shot which was pushed over the bar by Collins-Reed for a corner.

The game was now opening up and flowed from end to end and a free kick taken by Williams was again well held by Mottram. Bannister then played a nice pass to Rob Doran who was well tackled by Smith as he attempted to shoot.

On 34 minutes Cairns, King and Haynes linked up to play the ball for Kusaloka who held off a defender and fired a powerful shot which rebounded off the far post. Cables took the lead on 37 minutes when Isaac Kusaloka flicked home Rob Doran’s cross from close range. Kusaloka almost added a second just before half time when Moss lost possession and Kusaloka fired in another powerful effort which Collins-Reed pushed away for a corner.

Salford started the second half on the attack, and a free kick taken by Moss was held by Mottram. Kennedy then went down the left flank for Cables crossing the ball for Kusaloka but it Was taken by Salford keeper Collins-Reed. Cables were awarded a free kick on 50 minutes which was taken by Rob Doran and held by Collins-Reed in goal.

Cables were now pushing forward in an attempt to get the second goal and Jamie McCulloch played in Rob Doran whose shot was saved by Collins-Reed.

The second goal arrived on 57 minutes from a corner taken by Danny Brooks. It was a low corner which was back heeled across goal by Craig Haynes where Isaac Kusaloka was waiting at the far post to add the finishing touch.

Salford had the ball in the net on 65 minutes through Willaims but he was adjudged offside as he fired home.

On 66 minutes Isaac Kusaloka was put through by Danny Brooks with a great defence splitting pass his shot hitting the bar and heading the rebound wide. Brooks who was having a fine game in central midfield put Doran through on goal and he appeared to be brought down but the referee adjudged Doran to have slipped and ruled play on.

Phil Bannister dribbled through the Salford defence on 76 minutes his shot rebounding off the inside of the far post to deny Cables a third goal. Cables made their first change on 81 minutes Parish replacing Danny Brooks who received a standing ovation from the crowd.

Cables scored their third goal on 81 minutes Parish with his first touch of the ball crossing for Phil Bannister who fired home powerfully from 12 yards.

This seemed to spur Salford into a late charge and a cross by Cook was headed over by Browne.

Salford then won a corner taken by Williams and headed on by Rudd which Mottram again held well. Cables made two further changes Robinson replacing Kusaloka and Morton replacing King. Salford finally pulled a goal back on 89 minutes Rudd heading in at the far post from a corner taken by Williams.

Prescot Cables: Mottram, Cairns, Kennedy, Coyle, Haynes, Brooks, McCulloch, Bannister, Kusaloka, Doran, King. Substitutes: Morrow, Parish, Morton, Robinson, Lowton.

Burscough: Collins-Reed, Smith, Moss, Fieldhouse, Gaskin, Walters, Purcell, Rother, Williams, Cook, Messer.

Substitutes: Browne, Chadwick, Rudd, Power.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree