Pilkington Recs 70 Waterhead 22

First published in Sport

 Recs opened the new league season with an impressive display against Oldham outfit, Waterhead.

Recs desire to progress up the divisions is apparent and with the opening 15 minutes seeing a full length interception try for Danny Filson and well worked tries down the left flank for centre Ian Stanley and full-back Kyran Knapper their ability this season to seemingly dominate games from the kick-off will be a welcome sign to the supporters and coaches a-like.

A try for Waterhead on 22 minutes after a breakdown in Recs attacking play, was little more than consolation as the ruthless home side ran in further tries before half-time.

The first was courtesy of Lynch and then try of the game seeing the ball quickly sent out to Andrew Knapper, who somehow managed to tip-toe down the touchline before feeding the supporting Stanley on the inside, who then drew the full back and handed over to Lynch who scored the first of a quick fire brace.

And with Recs wreaking havoc down the left channel Kyran Knapper and Stanley bagged a try each.

Waterhead did manage to bag another before the interval, however with a half-time score of 40-12, the game was as good as over.

Recs stated the 2nd half in what is now becoming typical fashion with Richard Rafferty rampaging over the line from a scrum set-piece to continue his scoring run within three minutes of the restart, and when 5 minutes later John Ford off-loaded from what seemed an impossible position, Barry Pope gratefully accepted the gift from his Best Man to score a walk-over try.

With Lynch dominating the first half, half-back partner Greg Smith was not to be out done, and following a wonderful 40/20, Smith then jinked his way over from the resulting attacking set, and then followed up minutes later with a fine individual try, that saw him side-step 4 defenders, ignoring the easy pass, to score beneath the posts.

Waterhead hit back with a try of their own after a spell of pressure on the Recs line, but normal play was resumed as Stanley completed his hat-trick shortly after and Lynch kicked his 11th conversion of the day to bring up the 70 point mark.

The final say was left to Waterhead as they scored a final try on the stroke of full-time to give the final score of 70-22 The Rosies Bar MOM went to Richard Rafferty, with Ian Stanley picking up the AMDEC award.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree