St Helens Town 0-1 Colne

St Helens Star: Adam Storey Adam Storey

Saturday’s game brought together two teams with newly-appointed managers and it Colne’s Steve Cunningham who came out on top over new Town boss Ian Price in a close fought match, thanks to a fourth minute goal from Nathan Bond.

Town tried hard to get back into the game and the best chance fell to Danny Owens, who scuffed a good chance in front of goal in the tenth minute. Lowton saved well from a Colne free-kick on 35 minutes, tipping the ball over his bar. St. Helens went down the other end and Adam Storey hit a powerful strike inches over the visitors’ crossbar. Andy Gillespie had his best chance of the game five minutes before the break when he surged forward but as he moved in to strike the ball, Adam Stockdale pulled off a tremendous last-ditch tackle.

The second half saw Town dominant but the game lacked clear cut chances. As the game entering its closing stages and a share of the points still up for grabs, Neil Weaver had a good chance, which was cleared for a corner. Deep into injury time, one last push saw the ball cross the Colne line, but the effort was disallowed following a disputed foul on goalkeeper Thompson.

Wigan Robin Park 1-4 St Helens Town St. Helens Town recorded a comprehensive 4-1 win at Wigan Robin Park on Tuesday night that was every bit as comfortable as the score line suggests. The game marked thirteen matches unbeaten in the league – seven wins and six draws – putting St. Helens up to seventh place in the table on 34 points, only four points behind the total they achieved over the whole of last season.

Michael Sykes-Wright opened the scoring against his former club in the 16th minute, the home defence struggling to clear the ball out of their penalty area and the Town midfielder poked home a rebound. The second goal was similarly scrappy, this time it was leading scorer Andy Gillespie’s turn to prod home at close range from a corner on the half-hour.

St. Helens rubbed further salt in the wound four minutes from half-time. Danny Owens made a run along the edge of the 18-yard box, before finding Connor Sanderson unmarked on the left-hand side of the field and he hit the goal of the game from 25 yards, to send the visitors in for the break three goals to the good.

Robin Park’s James Edgar pulled a goal back after 68 minutes. Although they still looked comfortable, St. Helens had to withstand a brief onslaught from the home club but six minutes from time, a cross from the right-hand side saw Gillespie steal a march on the sleepy home defence and the young star centre-forward hit home from close range to wrap up the game at 4-1.

Town travel to Silsden on Saturday 14th December ahead of a run of three matches at Brocstedes Park starting with Winsford at home on 21st December.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree