Mayoral backing for independent stores

Wardleworths welcomes the mayor and mayoress, who took a fancy to the new Saints book by the Star’s Mike Critchley

On a tour of Tyrers

The civic party dropped in at Ena Shaw

First published in News

SOME of the town centre’s leading stores have been rolling out the red carpet for some VIP guests.

That is because the mayor and mayoress of St Helens have been flying the flag for the town centre’s independent retailers.

Councillor Geoff and Carol Pearl visited several stores as part of Independents Day 2014, the annual national event that celebrates and promotes homegrown shops.

The civic shopping trip took in stores including Ena Shaw, Kaleidoscope Records, Wardleworths book store, Tyrers, Side Walk menswear, Jones and Hoffman jewellers, St Mary’s Market, Bar Java and OD’s designer clothing.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:08pm Sat 19 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

what about BARTONS in duke st independent and a family store for over a 120 years
what about BARTONS in duke st independent and a family store for over a 120 years keepitreel
  • Score: 1

7:13pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Hughwithaview says...

Why is it when independents stores are featured in the press or are chosen for a special mention the same names come up, with Tyrers and Ena Shaw always in the mix?

I would have thought these two in particular would not need the extra publicity and it would have been more beneficial to smaller less well known independent businesses who are not finacially able to post full and double page advertisements in our local papers.
Why is it when independents stores are featured in the press or are chosen for a special mention the same names come up, with Tyrers and Ena Shaw always in the mix? I would have thought these two in particular would not need the extra publicity and it would have been more beneficial to smaller less well known independent businesses who are not finacially able to post full and double page advertisements in our local papers. Hughwithaview
  • Score: -1

8:24am Sun 20 Jul 14

mikeashworth says...

keepitreel wrote:
what about BARTONS in duke st independent and a family store for over a 120 years
Duke Street, North Road often overlooked, tragedy really as there are lots of really great business situated in those roads. It's still the Town centre, even in the Mayor doesnt seem to think so!
[quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: what about BARTONS in duke st independent and a family store for over a 120 years[/p][/quote]Duke Street, North Road often overlooked, tragedy really as there are lots of really great business situated in those roads. It's still the Town centre, even in the Mayor doesnt seem to think so! mikeashworth
  • Score: 2

9:43am Mon 21 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

Hughwithaview wrote:
Why is it when independents stores are featured in the press or are chosen for a special mention the same names come up, with Tyrers and Ena Shaw always in the mix?

I would have thought these two in particular would not need the extra publicity and it would have been more beneficial to smaller less well known independent businesses who are not finacially able to post full and double page advertisements in our local papers.
could it be a coincidence or are both owners on the chamber and always seem to be in the STAR as an advert or story,just an observation.
As MIKE said when did the town centre get shunted over to peasley cross,it seems the council wants to link the what were out of town developments into the new town centre and turns its back on the likes of DUKE ST and NORTH RD areas.
A quick question for someone in the STAR office how much regeneration money has been spent in these areas and has to rates gone down due to lack of investment,i know the second question is NO and is now higher than any other local authority in the area,no wonder shops close.
[quote][p][bold]Hughwithaview[/bold] wrote: Why is it when independents stores are featured in the press or are chosen for a special mention the same names come up, with Tyrers and Ena Shaw always in the mix? I would have thought these two in particular would not need the extra publicity and it would have been more beneficial to smaller less well known independent businesses who are not finacially able to post full and double page advertisements in our local papers.[/p][/quote]could it be a coincidence or are both owners on the chamber and always seem to be in the STAR as an advert or story,just an observation. As MIKE said when did the town centre get shunted over to peasley cross,it seems the council wants to link the what were out of town developments into the new town centre and turns its back on the likes of DUKE ST and NORTH RD areas. A quick question for someone in the STAR office how much regeneration money has been spent in these areas and has to rates gone down due to lack of investment,i know the second question is NO and is now higher than any other local authority in the area,no wonder shops close. keepitreel
  • Score: -1

8:44am Wed 23 Jul 14

mikeashworth says...

keepitreel wrote:
Hughwithaview wrote:
Why is it when independents stores are featured in the press or are chosen for a special mention the same names come up, with Tyrers and Ena Shaw always in the mix?

I would have thought these two in particular would not need the extra publicity and it would have been more beneficial to smaller less well known independent businesses who are not finacially able to post full and double page advertisements in our local papers.
could it be a coincidence or are both owners on the chamber and always seem to be in the STAR as an advert or story,just an observation.
As MIKE said when did the town centre get shunted over to peasley cross,it seems the council wants to link the what were out of town developments into the new town centre and turns its back on the likes of DUKE ST and NORTH RD areas.
A quick question for someone in the STAR office how much regeneration money has been spent in these areas and has to rates gone down due to lack of investment,i know the second question is NO and is now higher than any other local authority in the area,no wonder shops close.
Ali Tyrer is also a Director at the Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.sthelensc
hamber.com/about/who
_we_are/board_of_dir
ectors
[quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hughwithaview[/bold] wrote: Why is it when independents stores are featured in the press or are chosen for a special mention the same names come up, with Tyrers and Ena Shaw always in the mix? I would have thought these two in particular would not need the extra publicity and it would have been more beneficial to smaller less well known independent businesses who are not finacially able to post full and double page advertisements in our local papers.[/p][/quote]could it be a coincidence or are both owners on the chamber and always seem to be in the STAR as an advert or story,just an observation. As MIKE said when did the town centre get shunted over to peasley cross,it seems the council wants to link the what were out of town developments into the new town centre and turns its back on the likes of DUKE ST and NORTH RD areas. A quick question for someone in the STAR office how much regeneration money has been spent in these areas and has to rates gone down due to lack of investment,i know the second question is NO and is now higher than any other local authority in the area,no wonder shops close.[/p][/quote]Ali Tyrer is also a Director at the Chamber of Commerce. http://www.sthelensc hamber.com/about/who _we_are/board_of_dir ectors mikeashworth
  • Score: 0

8:57pm Thu 24 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please.
WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you
i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please. WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you keepitreel
  • Score: 0

11:25pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Bill Bradbury says...

keepitreel wrote:
i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please.
WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you
Because if they didn't you would have nothing to moan about.
[quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please. WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you[/p][/quote]Because if they didn't you would have nothing to moan about. Bill Bradbury
  • Score: 0

12:16am Fri 25 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

Bill Bradbury wrote:
keepitreel wrote:
i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please.
WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you
Because if they didn't you would have nothing to moan about.
what about all the other independent shops or retail outlets in ST HELENS do they not count,anyone from outside the town would think we only had 6 shops if the read this story,my reason for asking is if the chamber is supposed to promote independent shops should they represent ALL shops and not just the ones who are either owned by members or pay into its coffers what about the record shop or butchers or bakers we have in the town all family run but never get a mention,does the likes of TYRERS or OD'S or the book shop need to be mentioned every time someone mentions independent shopping in ST HELENS.
[quote][p][bold]Bill Bradbury[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please. WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you[/p][/quote]Because if they didn't you would have nothing to moan about.[/p][/quote]what about all the other independent shops or retail outlets in ST HELENS do they not count,anyone from outside the town would think we only had 6 shops if the read this story,my reason for asking is if the chamber is supposed to promote independent shops should they represent ALL shops and not just the ones who are either owned by members or pay into its coffers what about the record shop or butchers or bakers we have in the town all family run but never get a mention,does the likes of TYRERS or OD'S or the book shop need to be mentioned every time someone mentions independent shopping in ST HELENS. keepitreel
  • Score: 1

8:21am Fri 25 Jul 14

mikeashworth says...

keepitreel wrote:
i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please.
WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you
the mayor's twitter account is
https://twitter.com/
geoffpearlgeoff
[quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: i have asked the council have tweeted BAZA the new mayor hasn't got a twitter acc open yet,so cant ask him but still no one has answered my question,could the STAR answer please. WHY DOES EVERY MAYOR GO TO THE SAME EXACT SHOPS EVERY YEAR AND HAS THE SAME PHOTOS TAKEN. thank you[/p][/quote]the mayor's twitter account is https://twitter.com/ geoffpearlgeoff mikeashworth
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree