Inquest into St Helens man's death in Bolton house fire

St Helens Star: Police at the scene the morning after the fire Police at the scene the morning after the fire

A SQUATTER'S death was probably caused by a fire he started to keep warm, an inquest heard.

Christopher Dennis Murphy, aged 43 from St Helens, died after a fire broke out in the ground floor of a house in Manchester Road, Bolton, on January 29.

He was found lying upstairs in the house, where he had been squatting, and was pulled out by firefighters but later pronounced dead at the Royal Bolton Hospital.

An inquest at Bolton heard Mr Murphy died after he inhaled the toxic fumes. Coroner Alan Walsh was told Mr Murphy had a history of heroin and alcohol abuse and mental health issues.

Forensic pathologist Dr Naomi Carter said soot was found in his airways and lungs.

Community mental health nurse Paula Spencer Smith said: “His main concern was fear of the St Helens travelling community.

"He told me he had given evidence to police about a shooting that had resulted in someone going to jail and he was scared about them coming to get him.”

Mr Walsh told the inquest that there was limited evidence to prove this threat was real, but accepted that the concern he had may have resulted in Mr Murphy leading a nomadic lifestyle living in Manchester, Blackpool and Bolton.

His brother, Dennis, said he and his family had not seen Christopher since July 2013. They last spoke to him in December last year.

Mr Walsh recorded a verdict of misadventure.

He said: “It is likely that he started the fire to keep warm and that it developed and got out of hand.

“He may have tried to escape by running upstairs — the fact soot was found in his lungs suggests he was breathing when the fire started.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:56pm Thu 26 Jun 14

Yicker1971 says...

RIP Chris. We'll never forget you. X
RIP Chris. We'll never forget you. X Yicker1971
  • Score: 2

7:59pm Thu 26 Jun 14

Yicker1971 says...

RIP Chris. We'll never forget you x
RIP Chris. We'll never forget you x Yicker1971
  • Score: 2
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree