New Bargain Buys store to bring 40 jobs to town centre

St Helens Star: A new store is to move into the former Comet store in the town centre A new store is to move into the former Comet store in the town centre

FORTY jobs will be created when a budget chain opens up at the site of a former electricals store that has been empty since 2012.

Bargain Buys, which has 13 stores nationwide, will move into the former Comet store on King Street next to Asda later this summer.

The news comes as another timely boost for the town centre following the loss of Burtons and Dorothy Perkins on the corner of Bridge Street and Church Street.

Launched by the same father and son behind Poundworld, Bargain Buys is seen as a high street rival to Home Bargains and B&M and is described as a ‘multi-price’ discount store.

Budget stores have performed particularly strongly during tough economic times, which has squeezed shoppers’ spending power.

The store in St Helens will be the company’s first stand-alone unit in the country but it has other shops located in towns and cities including Runcorn, Rochdale, Walsall and Sheffield.

It is hoped it will open mid-July.

Despite continual doom and gloom by some observers about the town centre, there have been some brighter signs.

A number of independent shops have been set up in previously empty units by entrepreneurs.

And the Star revealed last week that Costa Coffee plan to move into the Coverdales soft furnishing store further along Church Street.

Council leader Barrie Grunewald said he is aware of the need to address issues in the town centre and the importance of maintaining it as the “vibrant, commercial heartbeat of the borough”.

Grunewald recently appointed Ged Gibbons to head up a team looking at revitalising the town centre.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:16pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Hughwithaview says...

No wonder "some observers" including myself are all "doom and gloom"
Bargain Buys - just what we want need - another pound shop!
So before anybody jumps in with the "you are all negativity" comments, what exactly is there to be positive about?
No wonder "some observers" including myself are all "doom and gloom" Bargain Buys - just what we want need - another pound shop! So before anybody jumps in with the "you are all negativity" comments, what exactly is there to be positive about? Hughwithaview
  • Score: 28

2:24pm Thu 19 Jun 14

barrie timpson says...

It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that.
It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that. barrie timpson
  • Score: 19

3:00pm Thu 19 Jun 14

barrie timpson says...

I'll say another thing , I wasn't able to go to the Westfield st music festival the other week , but it looked fantastic and goes to show that at least the local traders are pulling together to address the situation. That's what makes it so annoying about the 5 or so eating places that have zero star ratings , when there are signs of a little bit of recovery , along comes 5 bad apples to damage the reputation.

I saw four or five investor types in church square today , let's hope that this is the start of something. Work has also started on St Thomas square , and I for one will be hoping that it works out. This is people's jobs and livelihoods at stake here. I only hope the council can do them proud.
I'll say another thing , I wasn't able to go to the Westfield st music festival the other week , but it looked fantastic and goes to show that at least the local traders are pulling together to address the situation. That's what makes it so annoying about the 5 or so eating places that have zero star ratings , when there are signs of a little bit of recovery , along comes 5 bad apples to damage the reputation. I saw four or five investor types in church square today , let's hope that this is the start of something. Work has also started on St Thomas square , and I for one will be hoping that it works out. This is people's jobs and livelihoods at stake here. I only hope the council can do them proud. barrie timpson
  • Score: 7

3:46pm Thu 19 Jun 14

ourKatie says...

How do you apply for the jobs? When will we get a primark?
How do you apply for the jobs? When will we get a primark? ourKatie
  • Score: 5

3:52pm Thu 19 Jun 14

lawman2004 says...

It's not the town centre, it's the outskirts. It does however have a car park in front of it. Can't wait to see what draconian measures are put in place to fleeces those pulling in for a bargain
It's not the town centre, it's the outskirts. It does however have a car park in front of it. Can't wait to see what draconian measures are put in place to fleeces those pulling in for a bargain lawman2004
  • Score: 13

4:04pm Thu 19 Jun 14

smari08 says...

Hughwithaview wrote:
No wonder "some observers" including myself are all "doom and gloom"
Bargain Buys - just what we want need - another pound shop!
So before anybody jumps in with the "you are all negativity" comments, what exactly is there to be positive about?
As a independent retailer in the town, I worry for small business. If we can't entice large companies to stay in our town, we will very soon only be left with Charity Shops, Bars and betting offices the sure sign of a run down town centre. We need companies like Primark in our town to help with trade... love them or loathe them, you go to Wigan, Warrington, Liverpool or any town where Primark are you hardly pass a person who hasn't been in when passing. At the moment with nothing to keep shoppers here in the town centre all our money is going to other towns.
[quote][p][bold]Hughwithaview[/bold] wrote: No wonder "some observers" including myself are all "doom and gloom" Bargain Buys - just what we want need - another pound shop! So before anybody jumps in with the "you are all negativity" comments, what exactly is there to be positive about?[/p][/quote]As a independent retailer in the town, I worry for small business. If we can't entice large companies to stay in our town, we will very soon only be left with Charity Shops, Bars and betting offices the sure sign of a run down town centre. We need companies like Primark in our town to help with trade... love them or loathe them, you go to Wigan, Warrington, Liverpool or any town where Primark are you hardly pass a person who hasn't been in when passing. At the moment with nothing to keep shoppers here in the town centre all our money is going to other towns. smari08
  • Score: 16

4:06pm Thu 19 Jun 14

smari08 says...

As a independent retailer in the town, I worry for small business. If we can't entice large companies to stay in our town, we will very soon only be left with Charity Shops, Bars and betting offices the sure sign of a run down town centre. We need companies like Primark in our town to help with trade... love them or loathe them, you go to Wigan, Warrington, Liverpool or any town where Primark are you hardly pass a person who hasn't been in when passing. At the moment with nothing to keep shoppers here in the town centre all our money is going to other towns.
As a independent retailer in the town, I worry for small business. If we can't entice large companies to stay in our town, we will very soon only be left with Charity Shops, Bars and betting offices the sure sign of a run down town centre. We need companies like Primark in our town to help with trade... love them or loathe them, you go to Wigan, Warrington, Liverpool or any town where Primark are you hardly pass a person who hasn't been in when passing. At the moment with nothing to keep shoppers here in the town centre all our money is going to other towns. smari08
  • Score: 5

6:07pm Thu 19 Jun 14

mikeashworth says...

smari08 wrote:
Hughwithaview wrote:
No wonder "some observers" including myself are all "doom and gloom"
Bargain Buys - just what we want need - another pound shop!
So before anybody jumps in with the "you are all negativity" comments, what exactly is there to be positive about?
As a independent retailer in the town, I worry for small business. If we can't entice large companies to stay in our town, we will very soon only be left with Charity Shops, Bars and betting offices the sure sign of a run down town centre. We need companies like Primark in our town to help with trade... love them or loathe them, you go to Wigan, Warrington, Liverpool or any town where Primark are you hardly pass a person who hasn't been in when passing. At the moment with nothing to keep shoppers here in the town centre all our money is going to other towns.
What if a Primark opened, but it was on a retail park? You'd still hafve the same challenges.

The retail landscape is changing. The big brands need less actual shops than before, rather than 200, they 'll have 50 to 100 instead, and they'll choose those locations carefully.

town centres / high strret will be less about just being places for retail transactions and will need to be more of a a community hub.

i'm looking forward to the report from Ged Gibbons on Town Centre.

btw, who are you in town, which shop. hit me up on twitter and let me know @mikeashworth
[quote][p][bold]smari08[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hughwithaview[/bold] wrote: No wonder "some observers" including myself are all "doom and gloom" Bargain Buys - just what we want need - another pound shop! So before anybody jumps in with the "you are all negativity" comments, what exactly is there to be positive about?[/p][/quote]As a independent retailer in the town, I worry for small business. If we can't entice large companies to stay in our town, we will very soon only be left with Charity Shops, Bars and betting offices the sure sign of a run down town centre. We need companies like Primark in our town to help with trade... love them or loathe them, you go to Wigan, Warrington, Liverpool or any town where Primark are you hardly pass a person who hasn't been in when passing. At the moment with nothing to keep shoppers here in the town centre all our money is going to other towns.[/p][/quote]What if a Primark opened, but it was on a retail park? You'd still hafve the same challenges. The retail landscape is changing. The big brands need less actual shops than before, rather than 200, they 'll have 50 to 100 instead, and they'll choose those locations carefully. town centres / high strret will be less about just being places for retail transactions and will need to be more of a a community hub. i'm looking forward to the report from Ged Gibbons on Town Centre. btw, who are you in town, which shop. hit me up on twitter and let me know @mikeashworth mikeashworth
  • Score: 2

6:25pm Thu 19 Jun 14

keepitreel says...

why would PRIMARK come to the town,they have shops in neighbouring towns doing good trade,they would not locate in CHURCH ST or HARDSHAW ST but on ravenhead or similar,so the footfall in the town centre would be minimal,from what people tell me they sell cheap throw away type clothes and accessories,like you can buy on the market and most shops in town ( cheap tat) so what would happen to these shops.
The shop locating into the old comet is about all this town is going to get the top retail outlets are doing fine in WIGAN,WARRINGTON WIDNES etc,good free parking cheap rates and a council that bent over backwards to bring them in,we had a council that for one reason or another put hurdle after hurdle when the money was flowing to inhibit any growth,we will probably only find out when the persons in charge of the council write their autobiography why this town suffered.
why would PRIMARK come to the town,they have shops in neighbouring towns doing good trade,they would not locate in CHURCH ST or HARDSHAW ST but on ravenhead or similar,so the footfall in the town centre would be minimal,from what people tell me they sell cheap throw away type clothes and accessories,like you can buy on the market and most shops in town ( cheap tat) so what would happen to these shops. The shop locating into the old comet is about all this town is going to get the top retail outlets are doing fine in WIGAN,WARRINGTON WIDNES etc,good free parking cheap rates and a council that bent over backwards to bring them in,we had a council that for one reason or another put hurdle after hurdle when the money was flowing to inhibit any growth,we will probably only find out when the persons in charge of the council write their autobiography why this town suffered. keepitreel
  • Score: 3

11:08pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Eranu says...

Another fine addition to the St Helens "benefits economy" shopping experience.
Another fine addition to the St Helens "benefits economy" shopping experience. Eranu
  • Score: 12

12:03am Fri 20 Jun 14

alanpartridge65 says...

Another good reason to steer clear of the ailing town centre. As if there isn't enough tat shops already. All it needs now is a Primark store to put the cherry on the cake.
Another good reason to steer clear of the ailing town centre. As if there isn't enough tat shops already. All it needs now is a Primark store to put the cherry on the cake. alanpartridge65
  • Score: 5

2:13pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Hughwithaview says...

barrie timpson wrote:
It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that.
Yes - the jobs are the only good thing - but mostly they will be part time minimum wage and can we be certain they will be reserved for residents of St Helens?
[quote][p][bold]barrie timpson[/bold] wrote: It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that.[/p][/quote]Yes - the jobs are the only good thing - but mostly they will be part time minimum wage and can we be certain they will be reserved for residents of St Helens? Hughwithaview
  • Score: 13

9:50pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Dave harmon says...

Heart beat of the community..your having a giraffe...the town centre is flat lineing its had a heart attack and in need of MAJOR SURGERY
Heart beat of the community..your having a giraffe...the town centre is flat lineing its had a heart attack and in need of MAJOR SURGERY Dave harmon
  • Score: 9

6:28am Sat 21 Jun 14

frankly says...

DEAD DEAD DEAD, St Helens,, Move on.
DEAD DEAD DEAD, St Helens,, Move on. frankly
  • Score: 6

7:53am Sat 21 Jun 14

ollie70 says...

Hughwithaview wrote:
barrie timpson wrote:
It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that.
Yes - the jobs are the only good thing - but mostly they will be part time minimum wage and can we be certain they will be reserved for residents of St Helens?
why would anyone from another town travel for a part-time/minimum wage job? so although not 'reserved' for st helens residents, the vacancies will inevitably be filled by them.
[quote][p][bold]Hughwithaview[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]barrie timpson[/bold] wrote: It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that.[/p][/quote]Yes - the jobs are the only good thing - but mostly they will be part time minimum wage and can we be certain they will be reserved for residents of St Helens?[/p][/quote]why would anyone from another town travel for a part-time/minimum wage job? so although not 'reserved' for st helens residents, the vacancies will inevitably be filled by them. ollie70
  • Score: -1

7:54am Sat 21 Jun 14

ollie70 says...

lawman2004 wrote:
It's not the town centre, it's the outskirts. It does however have a car park in front of it. Can't wait to see what draconian measures are put in place to fleeces those pulling in for a bargain
yes about a 2 minute walk from the centre....
[quote][p][bold]lawman2004[/bold] wrote: It's not the town centre, it's the outskirts. It does however have a car park in front of it. Can't wait to see what draconian measures are put in place to fleeces those pulling in for a bargain[/p][/quote]yes about a 2 minute walk from the centre.... ollie70
  • Score: -2

8:48am Sat 21 Jun 14

Eman Resu says...

We already have a Bargain Buys in St Helens. It's on Elephant Lane, by the Vine pub.
We already have a Bargain Buys in St Helens. It's on Elephant Lane, by the Vine pub. Eman Resu
  • Score: 0

11:25am Sat 21 Jun 14

stevelunt says...

40 jobs created, which is good

I wonder if any of them are the 40 that lost their jobs from that site 18 months ago? probably not. They are competition for BnM and Home Bargains, so lets hope BnM don't close their town centre store as lose 40 jobs

I wonder if it will cost 200 quid to park there for longer than 20 minutes like the Range etc :D
40 jobs created, which is good I wonder if any of them are the 40 that lost their jobs from that site 18 months ago? probably not. They are competition for BnM and Home Bargains, so lets hope BnM don't close their town centre store as lose 40 jobs I wonder if it will cost 200 quid to park there for longer than 20 minutes like the Range etc :D stevelunt
  • Score: 5

11:52am Sat 21 Jun 14

Hughwithaview says...

ollie70 wrote:
Hughwithaview wrote:
barrie timpson wrote:
It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that.
Yes - the jobs are the only good thing - but mostly they will be part time minimum wage and can we be certain they will be reserved for residents of St Helens?
why would anyone from another town travel for a part-time/minimum wage job? so although not 'reserved' for st helens residents, the vacancies will inevitably be filled by them.
Why would anyone from another town travel for part time minimum wage jobs?
Do you mean when they can claim far more in benefits and stay in bed?
Well perhaps I still believe there are people out there who are desperate to work and will take a low paid job as a platform to find a better one. That's my optimistic side coming out for a change!
[quote][p][bold]ollie70[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hughwithaview[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]barrie timpson[/bold] wrote: It is 40 jobs at the end of the day. I can't be negative about that.[/p][/quote]Yes - the jobs are the only good thing - but mostly they will be part time minimum wage and can we be certain they will be reserved for residents of St Helens?[/p][/quote]why would anyone from another town travel for a part-time/minimum wage job? so although not 'reserved' for st helens residents, the vacancies will inevitably be filled by them.[/p][/quote]Why would anyone from another town travel for part time minimum wage jobs? Do you mean when they can claim far more in benefits and stay in bed? Well perhaps I still believe there are people out there who are desperate to work and will take a low paid job as a platform to find a better one. That's my optimistic side coming out for a change! Hughwithaview
  • Score: 6

8:26pm Mon 23 Jun 14

othervictim says...

lawman2004 wrote:
It's not the town centre, it's the outskirts. It does however have a car park in front of it. Can't wait to see what draconian measures are put in place to fleeces those pulling in for a bargain
Parking will be the same as elsewhere for customers and the rules are simple, if you are not shopping there then don't park there or are you to stupid to understand that.
[quote][p][bold]lawman2004[/bold] wrote: It's not the town centre, it's the outskirts. It does however have a car park in front of it. Can't wait to see what draconian measures are put in place to fleeces those pulling in for a bargain[/p][/quote]Parking will be the same as elsewhere for customers and the rules are simple, if you are not shopping there then don't park there or are you to stupid to understand that. othervictim
  • Score: -2

9:50pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Sankey says...

It should be too stupid not to stupid
It should be too stupid not to stupid Sankey
  • Score: 6

9:49pm Thu 26 Jun 14

sprest says...

As if we need another cheap tat bargain pound shop in st helens.
This is most probably the reasons why people from other surrounding towns do not come to st helens. The town is dying a long slow painful death both day and night!
As if we need another cheap tat bargain pound shop in st helens. This is most probably the reasons why people from other surrounding towns do not come to st helens. The town is dying a long slow painful death both day and night! sprest
  • Score: 1

8:22am Sun 13 Jul 14

Bill Bradbury says...

frankly wrote:
DEAD DEAD DEAD, St Helens,, Move on.
Bye!!
[quote][p][bold]frankly[/bold] wrote: DEAD DEAD DEAD, St Helens,, Move on.[/p][/quote]Bye!! Bill Bradbury
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree