Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Praise for fire hero Kelly Clayton
A CARE worker has been praised for her swift reactions after she led a pensioner to safety from a kitchen blaze at sheltered accommodation.
Kelly Clayton was at the property on Fry Street in Parr last Saturday when the fire alarm went off just after 1pm.
She rescued an elderly woman who was trying to put out the flames and evacuated the rest of the building.
The 27-year-old from Parr, who has been a care worker for nine years, said: “I was already in the building doing the lunch call when the alarm sounded.
“I came out of one of the other flats and could smell the smoke. I went to the kitchen and saw this blaze with fire shooting from the cooker to the ceiling. The smoke was toxic because of the plastic in there.
“The lady, who is 82, was crying and was trying to throw a tea towel over the fire. But I just grabbed her and got out, ringing 999 while I was inside.
“There are 28 flats in there but I got everyone out. It was a mad five minutes. There are a couple of ladies in their 50s and they were helpful, calming everybody down. But a lot are in their 70s and 80s.”
The pensioner was taken to Whiston Hospital for a check-up.
Kelly added: “I was also checked by paramedics but I was OK.”
Kelly’s actions were praised by her boss at Care Assured, Denise Cunliffe, who said: “We are all so proud of Kelly. She regularly visits that building so knows all of them there. She acted promptly, kept a level head and just got on with it.”
Comments are closed on this article.