THE Rotary Club of Prescot has some great news straight from the North Pole...for the 32nd year running Santa will be making special appearances this month throughout the area to raise funds for local charities and international projects.
Willowbrook Hospice, Zoe’s Place Children’s Hospice, The Lilac Centre, Eccleston Lane Ends PTA, Whiston Hospital, Honey Rose Foundation, The Lyndale Centre, St Ann’s Church Rainhill, St Ann’s School Rainhill, Parr Band and many others have all benefited from Santa’s visits in past years.
Escorting Santa during his visits, Prescot Rotary Club announces the following schedule.
- Saturday and Sunday – At B&Q St Helens 10am to 4pm
- Sunday – 5pm to 7pm – Knowsley village
- Monday, December 10 – 6pm to 8pm – Rainhill West – around The Holt (Warrington Road) and neighbouring streets in conjunction with Prescot Round Table
- Tuesday, December 11 – 6pm to 8pm – Whiston – Windy Arbor Road and streets around Cronton Lane, including Willis Lane, Long Hey, Halton Hey, Nicholas Road, Halsnead Bishop Drive
- Thursday, December 13 – 6pm to 8pm – Whiston – from the fire station on Delph Lane, the Sandstone Drive estate and Scotchbarn Lane area
- Friday, December 14 – 6pm to 8pm – another Whiston visit, starting at “The Green Dragon”, Stoney Lane, Cumber Lane and neighbouring streets, including Hulton Avenue, The Crescent, Keats Avenue, Milton Avenue, Willow Avenue, Hazel Avenue, Cedar Road, Chestnut Close
- Sunday, December 16 – Eccleston Park, 4pm to 8pm – a “double round” – St James’ Road and neighbouring streets (Bretherton Road, Maryville Road), Hawthorn Road (and neighbouring streets, including Laurel Road, Derwent Avenue, Rydal Avenue, etc), and then Central Avenue, Elm Grove, Forest Grove, Gorsey Croft, Fairholme Avenue, Park Avenue and Portico Lane (partly in conjunction with Eccleston Lane Ends PTA)
- Monday, December 17 – Prescot – 6pm to 8pm - from the Deane’s House and visiting Knowsley Park Lane, Park Road, Stanley Crescent, Hope Street, Moss Street, Evans Street, Pratt Road, Driffield Road, Mitchell Road, Manchester Road
- Tuesday, December 18 – Prescot and Whiston – 6pm to 8pm – the streets along Willow Grove, Hayes and through part of Whiston, ending at “The Green Dragon”
- Thursday, December 20 – new this year – another Prescot visit – 6pm to 8pm starting at McDonalds at Cables Retail Park (near Tesco) and going through the new Speakeman estates and then through Ash Grove, Lovett Drive, Poplar Drive, Beeechwood, Shaw Lane, Dragon Lane, Edward Road and Gilbert Road, then Sinclair Road and Broadlands
- Friday, December 21– Rainhill – 6pm to 8pm – from “The Rocket” (Warrington Road) crossing Warrington Road at Ivy Road and throughout Longton Lane, King Edward Road, Ellerslie Avenue, Ellaby Avenue and Rainhill Road
- Saturday, December 22 and Sunday, December 23 – Tesco Prescot (Cables Retail Park) 10am to 4pm
- Monday, December 24 – Tesco Prescot (Cables Retail Park) 8am to 2pm
- Monday, December 24 – Eccleston Street, Prescot, 9am to noon.
All the above dates and times are subject to weather conditions.
Commenting on the arrangements for Santa’s impending visit, Rotary Club member Gerry Houghton said: “We have liaised with the North Pole now for more than 30 years.
“We are very fortunate that Santa can spare so much time for the communities of Prescot, Eccleston Park, Whiston and Rainhill at this very busy time of year.
“Last year Santa’s visits enabled us to raise more than £8,000, all of which we have donated to local charities and international projects.
“During December there are more than 70 Rotarians, friends and families who help escort Santa while he is visiting this area as a guest of Prescot Rotary.
“We also work with Prescot Round Table and Eccleston Lane Ends PTA, who assist us, and we have tremendous support from many businesses.
“Most of all, everyone in Prescot Rotary would like to thank people who come out and support Santa and our charity collections.
“Each year we are truly amazed at people’s generous donations – thank you.”