TIME is running out to register to vote in the general election.

The country will go to the pools on July 4, 2024 and the deadline to register to vote is just days away.

How do I register to vote?

People have until midnight on Tuesday, June 18 to register and you can do it online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

All you need is your date of birth and National Insurance Number.

What if I'm already registered?

If you’re registered, your polling card should be landing on the doorstep any day now ahead of the General Election.

In St Helens, Windle residents will also receive polling cards for a council by-election taking place the same day, which follows a vacancy in the ward.

What if I've not received a polling card?

If you haven’t received yours, you may need to register to vote.

You may also need to update your details on the electoral register by registering again, for example if you’ve changed your name or moved address since you last voted, or if you’re a university student who has been registered at your university address.

What if I'm away when the election is taking place?

If you’re going to be away on holiday or have other plans there are ways you can still vote, including postal voting. You can sign up for a postal vote by 5pm on Wednesday 19 June, and your postal vote will be sent to you on 26 June. This can be done online at www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote.

If you miss the last post day you can still hand in your completed postal vote pack at a polling station on polling day or at St Helens Town Hall, but you will need to complete further documentation at your drop off point. You can hand deliver no more than five postal vote packs plus your own postal vote for each election.

If you're away from 22 June and won't be back for polling day, it’s recommended that you sign up for a proxy vote – where you authorise someone to go to the polling station on your behalf. The deadline to apply for a proxy vote is 5pm Wednesday 26 June.

What is voter ID?

Residents who took part in the recent elections will be aware of the new requirement to present photo ID (called voter ID) at a polling station. You can use an expired ID if the photo still looks like you. This could be a driving license, passport, Blue Badge or Government-funded travel pass. For a full list of accepted forms of voter ID visit www.sthelens.gov.uk/voter-id.

Where do I vote?

Your polling station may have changed since the last time you voted. You can check where you’ll be voting at https://wheredoivote.co.uk/, while your polling card also contains a handy map of your area and your polling station.

For more information about voting and the upcoming elections visit www.sthelens.gov.uk/elections.