LIVERPOOL St Helens completely overpowered New Brighton - their long-time rivals from over the Mersey - winning 60-0 with one of the best displays seen at Moss Lane for some time.

The game began after a minutes silence remembering the 57 members of the Liverpool Club who lost their lives in World War 1 together with all those in other conflicts.

Club members also stood in silence for club stalwart and friend to all at Moss Lane, Norman Knowles, who had sadly passed away that morning.

The pattern of the game was set in the first six minutes with LSH scoring two tries from hooker Chris Houlton and No 8 Dan Webster, one of which was converted by Dan Filson for a 12-0 lead.

Not long after, New Brighton hooker Aaron Henshaw was taken to hospital by ambulance with a neck injury, although later discharged with the all clear.

The game was delayed by 40 minutes and the Moss lane floodlights kicked into action.

So too did LSH, carrying on where they had left off with tries from Alex McClurg; Jake Hodson, the best of the day after good work from Dan Filson and Josh Lynch; Darren Wilson, and Josh Lynch to establish a 36-0 lead at half time.

The second half brought tries for two of LSH’s newest lads, both props and both getting better with each game.

First up was Kenny Heywood who crashed over from a quickly taken tap penalty, followed by Ross McCauley, who took the more difficult route of running around the New Brighton back line before touching down close to the posts, both converted by Filson.

The scoring was rounded off by McClurg in receipt of a bullet pass from Matty Johnston.

WEST Park, despite being forced into several changes once again, coped well with the obvious disruption to defeat Hoylake 40-12.

The spirit and endeavour was evident throughout, no more so than from young debutant Jack Holland who not only scored a try but converted the five goals he attempted.

Hoylake opened the scoring with a try from a simple passing movement which was neatly converted from a difficult angle.

It was almost half time before Park registered their first score with centre Olly Berry crashing over from close range.

Although two points behind at the start of the second half Park looked much more comfortable and dangerous with the ball , and first winger Jack Holland finished off a move involving flanker Jack Winstanley and captain Matt Cozens, followed shortly afterwards by a further score from prop Kurt Riley to give Park a healthy 12 point lead.

A fourth try, and bonus point, soon followed, as centre Josh Ainsworth scored from a typical powerful run after a move initially involving scrum half Adam Smith and captain Matt Cozens.

Ainsworth was again on hand to score the next try also, after good work in the line out by Lewis Harris the ball was transferred at speed to find the centre whose run was strong and decisive.

Luke Holland scored a try under the posts which younger brother Jack unerringly converted, rightly sealing his man of the match performance.

The visitors had the last word scoring a scrappy try at the final whistle which was not converted.

West Park’s next fixture is 25 November when they travel to Glossop, where the same spirit, endeavour and self belief will undoubtedly be needed against stronger opposition.

RUSKIN came away from Hoylake on Saturday with another comprehensive win - this one 47-0 in a game foreshortened after 70 minutes by a serious head injury to a Hoylake player.

Ruskin opened the scoring with tries from Dyson, Foster and Westhead.

Dyson touched down from a rolling maul to wrap up the first half scoring.

Further tries came from Tress, Tom Lea and two from Sam Westhead. This was a well structured win for Ruskin, who travel to Prenton on Saturday for a top of the table cup clash.

NEWTON defeated high flying Oxton Parkonians 26-19. Tries came from Neil Marshall , captain Dave Turner, Al Callister and with less that 10 minute to go hard working Simon Hughes finished off the game with the final try.