WEST Park won this encounter in the relegation battle with local rivals scoring four tries to three, giving Park the extra bonus point and denying Leigh a losing bonus point.

Prior to the start of the game Parks’ former captain Rob Morley announced his retirement from the game after a number of persistent shoulder injuries, he has been a superb captain over a number of years and was an excellent role model, he will be sadly missed.

Park opened the scoring after five minutes when fly-half Lee Rosney converted a penalty. However Leigh hit back with a superb converted try by their excellent full back taking the score to 3-7 .

Park were soon back in the lead after a magnificent 60 yards break by full back John Pape who handed on to Park captain Matt Cozens he transferred the ball on to Ollie Berry for the Park winger to go over in the corner, conversion missed 8-7.

Leigh were soon back in the lead when their full back put over a penalty taking the score to 8-10 after 25 minutes play. It also saw the introduction of Gareth Tudor for Park making his debut in the forwards.

After some loose play Leigh were once again on the score sheet scoring a converted try taking the score to 8-17 in their favour. Park forwards who were now beginning to take control stormed back, ably led by 'Man of the Match' Martin Kimberley, and after tremendous pressure Leigh eventually capitulated conceding a penalty try which was duly converted by Rosney taking the score to 15-17 in Leigh's favour.

With half time looming Leigh came back to score a further penalty 15-20. Park once again put in a series of great scrums which released fly-half Rosney a lovely weighted pass for wingman Berry to registered his second try Rosney did the conversion 22-20 half time.

The second half was very competitive with both sides going close without scoring, eventually Park captain Matt Cozens broke the deadlock with another fine break which saw Rosney go over for a try which he duly converted.

Once again Leigh came back with a penalty taking the score to 29-23 and with approximately 10 minutes to go.

Leigh went very close on a couple of occasions but the final word was left to Parks’ Rosney kicking a further penalty to put score beyond doubt to 32-23 and securing the victory.