IN typical cup game fashion Oulton looked up for the fight and ready for a ‘giant-killing’ however, Thatto Heath produced a professional performance to run out 36-10 winners at Crusader Park.

Thatto’s form in the league had been indifferent in recent weeks, and after last week’s heavy defeat head coach Richard Owen said it was the perfect time for cup game to refresh the side.

However, the division two side did not make it easy for the premier side, keeping the scores just one try difference as the whistle blew for half time.

Thatto Heath took control of the game in a 10-minute spell after half time crossing for three tries as the heat took its toll on the away side.

Josh Crehan opened the scoring inside the first five minutes, slicing through the defensive line with a sweet dummy and neat footwork. Charlie Taylor converted, his first points for the side as he made his debut.

Oulton hit straight back as they showed fine hands to create an overlap and send Zak Schofield over in the corner. Josh Murray would lock up the scores at 6-6.

Both sides would score again before half-time Adam Prendergast charged on to an inside ball to continue his fine try-scoring form before Andy Williamson replied for the visitors.

After half time Thatto showed their credentials as they wasted no time in wrapping up the game. Just one minute into the second half Matty Norton took an inside pass and powered his way over.

Then in quick succession, Owen Scholes chased a lost cause to pounce on hesitation in the Oulton defence before Norton beat his man and raced 50m. Bobbie Goulding took over the kicking role and proved himself, converting all three.

With the game won, Thatto Heath went through their paces to ensure there was no chance of a comeback. Yet Niall Allen added the icing to the cake with just two minutes to go.

Chris Frodsham, who caused the Oulton defence numerous problems, broke through the line finding Dave Sutton in support before he gave Allen the inch of space he needed to dive over in the corner.

Thatto Heath advance into the next round of the Challenge Trophy and will have one eye on going all the way, as for Oulton they drop out and continue their push for promotion back to Division one.