On paper it looks like a comfortable 4-2 victory for Billinge New Street but they had to battle all the way against a very good young Wythenshawe Reserves side on Saturday.

In the first-half, in particular, Billinge just weren't at the races as they struggled to get anywhere near the skilful Mancunians.

The fact they only went in only 1-0 down at the interval was mainly due to the heroics of Danny Still in the New Street goal.

On four occasions he denied the Wythenshawe attackers with fine saves only to be beaten by a wonder goal from 35 yards out from Max Boswell in the 40th minute.

Ironically, The Storks two best efforts came in the preceding minutes to the goal when Jimmy Howard should have done better with a great opportunity and then moments later the same player went close from 12 yards out.

New Street manager Steve Hallwood was an unhappy man and gave his charges a good talking to at half-time; and it certainly garnered a response.

On 48 minutes substitute Danny Lamb put in a teasing cross that Howard almost met and then four minutes later Billinge were level.

Howard's initial corner was blocked but the ball found its way back allowing him to put in a beautiful cross onto the head of Scott Maher at the back post who finished neatly.

Billinge now appeared to be in the ascendancy and on 58 minutes Jordan Wright went close.

However, two minutes later the visitors retook the lead in controversial circumstances.

The Billinge defence stopped playing as the ball appeared to have gone well out for a throw-in, but the assistant referee kept his flag down leaving Lewis Hill wide open to slot home.

The home side were furious but kept their heads and stepped up their game as almost immediately Connor Simpson saw his header go just over the bar before Lamb's shot again went the wrong side of the crossbar.

Lamb was, however, rewarded in the 72nd minute when Howard threaded a lovely ball through for him to run on to, take forward a few yards and then deftly chip the Wythenshawe keeper Sam Goodwin to score a glorious equaliser.

Eight minutes later a great move saw Jordon Hallwood and Jamie Cardwell combine beautifully to set up Jordan Wright who shot narrowly wide.

However, on 80 minutes Street were ahead for the first time in the game as Howard dispossessed a defender and advanced forward to blast home.

Three minutes later it was that man Howard again who got onto a loose ball and expertly took it around the keeper to finish from a tight angle to make it 4-2 and secure the points for the home side.

St Helens Star:

After the game the man-of-the-match award sponsored by SC Renewables went to the Billinge New Street centre-half Scott Maher who - as well as scoring Billinge's first goal - was a colossus in defence with manager Steve Hallwood saying: "Along with Stilly in goal Scott was the only person in the first-half that could say they played to their abilities.

"We were very poor for the first 45 minutes but credit to Wythenshawe who were a decent footballing side that we couldn't get close to allowing them to dominate the half.

"However, in the second period we got our act together and showed what we are about."

St Helens Star:

Next Saturday Billinge travel to Culcheth to take on Daten FC in a 2pm kick-off.