BILLINGE New Street had a disappointing start to the season when they lost 4-2 at home to newly promoted Upton JFC of Chester.

After a good pre-season the recently merged side were below-par for this first league match.

That said, there were still positives as they started and ended the match brightly.

In fact, Billinge took the lead on six minutes when a loose ball was pounced on by Adam Horkins who stabbed the ball home from 12 yards.

On 18 minutes James Lally went close for the visitors following a good free-kick routine and then three minutes later they were level when Sam Rockall finished from a tight angle.

The remainder of the half was a tight affair, but New Street's keeper Danny Still had to be at his best to deny James Lally who was through on goal after an earlier mistake by the home side.

This kept the score at 1-1 at half time.

If Billinge had started the first-half the better of the two sides, it was the visitors' turn as with the wind on their backs they took the lead on 51 minutes with this time Lally finishing after a skilful solo run.

The Storks response was immediate after a strong run and cross by Jonny Newton that unfortunately evaded the onrushing attackers.

The visitors went 3-1 ahead on 70 minutes when a corner hit Street's Sean Cotterell and went into the net for an unfortunate own goal.

This, however, seemed to spur the home side on as Jordon Hallwood and Jordan Pilling both went close.

Then on 85 minutes Billinge narrowed the deficit with the goal of the game; substitute Danny Lamb received the ball out wide, drove on and hit an unstoppable shot from 20 yards out.

Three minutes later Cotterell produced a brilliant cross that was met by the head of Hallwood, but the ball went agonisingly wide.

Lamb almost got on the end of a lovely through ball from Adam Morris before he put a great cross in that just evaded Newton coming in at the near post.

With the game entering the final moments Billinge New Street were caught on the break as the excellent Paddy Lally made it 4-2 and killed off the home side's hopes of salvaging a draw.

After the game Street's manager Steve Hallwood was disappointed saying: "It's very rare that I say our midfield was outbattled but that was the case today.

"That set the tone of the game, but we were also unfortunate that we lost both strikers with injuries in the first half losing our cutting edge up front.

"But we'll dust ourselves down, take the positives from the game and go into the next match with confidence."

One of those positives was the form of Jordon Hallwood who picked up the man-of-the-match award sponsored by SC Renewables for a battling and skilful performance for the full 90 minutes.