In 2018 Stuttgart based TSV Uhlbach travelled to Ruskin Drive as part of the then 70th anniversary of the historic partnership between the towns.

Covid sadly put pay to any chance of a reasonably quick return trip to Uhlbach, however this year, the 75th anniversary finally saw Town pack their kitbag and head over to Germany.

It was also TSV Uhlbach’s 125 anniversary celebrations so the scene was set in the beautiful vineyard valleys just some five miles from Stuttgart city centre.

With Town’s poor finish in last seasons’ league and the club still settling from a complete rebuild it was important for them to prove themselves in the club's first away trip on foreign soil.

With many following the trip on social media back home and an official farewell from the Mayor and Council leaders the team were more than aware the town's eyes were on the match.

Before kick off the hosts put on some fantastic pre match entertainment as they welcomed both teams by playing the national anthems.

Gifts were exchanged in a show of unity between the two clubs.

St Helens Star:

However, all pleasantries were put to one side for 90 plus minutes.

The match started at a frantic pace as the occasion had obviously got the players pumped.

The game started to settle after 10 minutes and despite Town’s dominance it would be the German hosts who first hit the back of the net after 20 minutes.

Fortunately for Town the goal was ruled off for offside after some confusion on and off the pitch.

It would be Town’s Chris Greene who finally broke the deadlock on the 40th minute with a fierce low strike from outside the box with an assist from the workmanlike Tom Jackson.

Town went into halftime deservedly in front. TSV Uhlbach would then equalise five minutes into the second half somewhat against the run of play.

However, yet again Town striker Liam Diggle would come to the rescue on the 57 minute as his constant threat finally paid off to to put Town up 1-2 with a bullet header from a Danny Hughes corner. T

The referee and ex-Bundesliga referee added an additional four minutes which felt like an eternity.

Despite their efforts in the dying seconds the men from St Helens held on to get the victory on an historic day for the club.

St Helens Star:

With the game done it was to the beer tent to celebrate 75 years of friendship between two old great football clubs.

Town’s manager Paul “Peo” Piert said: "Firstly and for me one of the most important things was how well we where treated in Stuttgart, from the moment we landed till our departure they went above and beyond treating us with so much warmth and friendship.

"To say I’m proud to be manager of my town’s team is the biggest understatement I’ve ever made, it means so much more.

"To be given the opportunity to then represent the town, the club, the community was amazing, the fact it was our first game out of the UK makes it that bit better, playing in Germany justs put the top hat on things.

St Helens Star:

"The squad were well aware of the buzz and the social media side around the game.

"The squad did themselves proud, off the field as well as on it, we certainly felt like we had a point a prove given we where posting things about the game all the time.

"On to the game, and other than a 10 minute spell just after half time we completely controlled the game, in fact after the first 20 minutes it could have been 4-1 to us and no one could of argued.

"We battled, fought and competed for every ball for every second of the game, although it was a bigger event than the game all of us who travelled had a burning desire to come home with a win, and that was pretty evident at the final whistle.

"As they say no such thing as friendly but again after the game the respect the treatment of everyone of us was outstanding.

"We should all be very proud of what we did, how we done it and like I said all weekend 'What would Jack (Grealish) do'"

Town's next match is a high profile friendly at Ruskin Drive Sports Village against Chester FC, Friday, 7 July, 7.45pm kick off.