ST HELENS Town’s last game of the season was certainly eventful, and was, in many ways a reflection of their season.

Good performances, moments of brilliance, but ultimately ending up in dashed hopes and a 7-2 defeat.

Bottom of the table Town faced a strong Halewood Apollo side who were still mathematically in with a shout of the league title.

The news that a number of players were missing from last week’s winning performance didn’t fill the Town faithful with much optimism, but Town started well and gave as good as they got in the opening exchanges. Forward Alex Higham looked particularly dangerous on the attack.

Halewood were looking increasingly dangerous and could have taken the lead after a quarter of an hour but for an amazing couple of saves from goalkeeper Ruairi McDaid.

The breakthrough eventually came in the 22nd minute when a neat one-two on the edge of the box, left the Halewood striker with a simple dink over the keeper to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Town fans feared the worst, but the team showed how far they have progressed since the start of the season and just over ten minutes later found an equaliser.

Captain Chris Greene won the ball back just inside the Halewood half, found Ryan Cook in space on the edge of the box who fired a blistering shot into the left corner leaving the keeper rooted to the spot.

Town started the second half with the same spirit and energy as they ended the first, however keeper McDaid’s agility was again called upon to keep the scores level.

Halewood were pushing for another goal, and left themselves exposed as the back when a long ball found Michael Lacey through on goal with just the keeper to beat.

He seemed to have wasted his opportunity, but the keeper clumsily brought him down, giving the ref no option but to award a penalty. Chris Greene stepped up, and blasted it past the keeper to give Town a surprise, but not necessarily an undeserved lead.

Just five minutes later, and Halewood (with more than a little help from the Town defence) had turned the scoreline round.

Town would prefer the rest of the game be forgotten, as they eventually found themselves on the wrong end of a 7-2 result.

It’s fair to say they can feel somewhat hard-done by the scoreline, as they were still competitive to the end, but Halewood were relentless and ruthless in their quest to improve their goal difference.

Town were ultimately left with a match and a season to forget, but manager Paul “Peo” Piert is optimistic about the future.

“This season has been the toughest one that I have been involved in, to get the job two weeks before the season started with only a handful of players should have given me an idea of the task ahead!

The one thing I’ll say about the season is it’s been a massive learning curve for everyone involved.

There’s been lots of changes on the pitch, but just as many off it; but trust me, going forward these things will keep this amazing Town team going for years. The way the committee is working is amazing.

The playing squad is taking shape. There will be players staying, players moving on, and new players coming in. We have a fantastic under 18s and 17s with loads of potential which excites all of us.

I’m already putting things in motion to shape preseason (something we never got last year) which will help us massively.

Once again thank you to everyone who has supported us in whatever way you could, here’s to a bright blue future.”