SIDAC Sports and Social have won the Jubilee Cup Final beatingt St Michael’s DH 2-1 

St Michael’s kicked off the first Jubilee Cup Final since lockdown on an overcast but relatively warm day.

Dominating the play from the start they struggled to break down a determined Sidac defence.

Sidac produced the first shot on target and shortly after opened the scoring from a well taken corner which found the head of Lewis Dickson who powered in after 13 minutes.

St Michael’s again took control of the game and came close in the 16th minute when Luke Prescott found himself in space and headed over from close range.

Further chances fell their way, but none really threated the Sidac goal as their defence looked in control.

However, it was Sidac breaking quickly from defence followed by a sublime through ball behind the St Michael's defence that found Liam Lane who slotted home Sidac’s second after 32 minutes.

In the closing minutes of the first half Sidac matched St Michael’s for large parts but faced an onslaught in the last 5 minutes. Once again, the Sidac defence held strong with goal scorer Lewis Dickson dominating most aerial battles and Jack Eastham and Liam Lane producing some fine hold up play which frustrated St Michael’s.

St Helens Star:

St Michael's came close twice in the closing minutes with Paul Derbyshire beating the keeper only to see his shot cleared and a foul on Dom Breton who was clipped from behind on the edge of the box. The resulting freekick summed up much of St Michael’s first half and saw the attempt land comfortably into the hands of the Sidac keeper.

Sidac started the second half and looked ever determined to hold on the ball while their defence continued to hold out.

The ability to break quickly and work the ball forward and hold up possession proved vital in maintaining their lead.

Both teams played the game with a determination to win, and numerous strong tackles were seen in the battle for the middle of the park. Several yellow cards were issued by the referee as a result and one crunching tackle saw Don Breton limp of for St Michael’s after 20 minutes.

As St Michael’s continued to push, they won several corners and free kicks but none of them troubled the Sidac keeper Connor Wainwright.

After 23 minutes Sidac had the best chance of the half when a long-range shot caused the St Michael’s keeper, Tony Kelshaw, to make a fine save.

With St Michael’s desperate for a goal, they continued to apply pressure and after a long throw in which caused havoc in the Sidac defence the ball fell to Matt Williamson who slotted home from 5 yards after 25 mins.

St Michael’s continued to push for the rest of the game but never really threatened the Sidac goal whose defence was solid and hold up play superb.

St Helens Star:

Overall, a great game of football from both teams which was well refereed and saw two contrasting styles of football which produced an entertaining afternoon for all the spectators.