It’s an old cliché, but this really was a game of two halves, with both sides, unusually, playing better when against a strong wind.

There was only an extra time penalty kick between the two sides when they met in October and there was nothing between them this Saturday.

LSH made much the better start with early pressure bringing the first score after nine minutes.

St Helens Star:

Following good clean possession near the Aldwinians line on the right, Matty Wood judged a cross field kick just right for new left wingman Jake Dickinson to catch, and neatly side step over for a try.

Ten minutes later after more pressure on the visitor’s line and after one attempt had been held up, skipper Paddy Royle crashed over from short range.

St Helens Star:

Aldwinians worked into the game with some well-judged kicks for territory but were unable to make them count.

The Moss Laners extended their lead just before the break with a Matty Wood penalty giving LSH a 13 point lead.

St Helens Star:

The second half saw Aldwinians score 21 points, sparked one minute into the half when their right winger was gifted a bouncing ball before sprinting 50 yards to score, converted.

LSH hit back soon after, when a strong charge from Dan Webster led to Matty Wood scoring from close range.

St Helens Star:

Thereafter LSH were effectively on the back foot, with the visitors pack having the edge, ensuring that they had plenty of ball.

This brought two converted tries in the 66th and 70th minutes to give them a 3 point lead.

St Helens Star:

LSH did then raise their game and after a number of attacks settled for a Matty Wood penalty in front of the sticks, a score which most, if not all, observers, believed to be a fair result from an entertaining game.

St Helens Star:

Liverpool Collegiate 0 West Park 19.

 The visitors though starved of possession for much of the first half, provided a display of resolute tackling, particularly from their forward pack, amongst which prop forward Kimberley led by example.

Once in possession of the ball, Park provided some excellent running rugby and stand off Liam Hill crossed for two fine tries, one converted by Ben Houlton to provide a lead of 12 points to nil at half time

The second half was a more even affair , albeit with the visitors always in the ascendency, and adding a further good try from centre  Nathan Webster which Houlton again converted, leaving the home side scoreless at the close.

Next week West Park travel to Widnes  kick off 2.15pm