SAINTS are champions again.

A second try from Kevin Naiqama, his last act in a Saints shirt, secures the three-peat.

The Fiji skipper – and Harry Sunderland winner - collected a perfectly weighted Jonny Lomax kick to snatch the spoils after the Catalans Dragons had led 10-6.

After Saints had led a tight first half, Catalans took the lead when Mike McMeeken crossed from a tapped back kick.

Saints were up against it then, and struggled to spend any time in the Dragons half.

But they kept their composure to pull off the three-peat for the first time in their history.

The first half was a tight affair – one which Saints started brightly with quick hands on the right from Jonny Lomax and Naiqama seeing Tommy Makinson stopped short.

Catalans responded and were first on the scoreboard with an 8th minute James Maloney penalty.

Saints hit the front on 13 minutes when Naiqama was unleashed on the right, taking on the line and reaching out to ground the ball.

Coote missed the conversion, but Saints led 4-2 On 17 Saints looked like they were over again from loose pass with Regan Grace – but a knock on was given against Mark Percival in the build up.

Saints stretched the lead to 6-2 with a Coote penalty after Ben Garcia had gone high on Lomax.

After Dragons won a six again and penalty, Maloney kicked another penalty to make it 6-4 on 27 minutes.

We could see that this was how it was going to be played.

Saints did create half chances but Regan Grace was bundled into touch 5 m short just before half time.

The second half was even more tense and it took a Makinson try saver on Fouad Yaha on 46 to stop the wing. It did cop him a yellow for the high tackle but there was no penalty try Dragons sensed blood and 50 minutes a high kick wide by Maloney was palmed back and scored by McMeeken.

Maloney’s goal made it 10-6.

Saints had found it difficult to spend any time on the Dragons line, and were largely kept at bay.

Joe Batchelor pierced the Dragons left edge but his pass back inside went to Sam Tomkins.

Saints were getting more ball, and were unlucky when an attacking move saw the ball come off Jack Welsby’s head.

A late tackle on Coote saw Saints press at the other end and at the end of the set Naiqama collected Lomax kick to ground on 65.

Coote goal and Saints were back in front 12-10.

Although Naiqama went off for a concussion assessment after being hurt in the act of scoring, Saints kept their shape.

Although Catalans twice forces goal line drop outs Saints kept them out.

And when Coote’s kick was knocked into touch by Tom Davies, Saints simply had to play at the other end and keep tackling for the last five minutes.

Saints: Coote; Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace; Lomax, Dodd; Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Mata'utia, Batchelor, Knowles. Subs: Amor, Paasi, Welsby.

Catalans: S Tomkins; Davies, Langi, Whare, Yaha; Moloney, Drinkwater; Dudson, McIlorum, Bousquet, Whitley, McMeekens, Garcia. SubsL Mourgue, Goudemand, J Tomkins, Kasiano.