WE weren’t at our best, it’s as simple as that - and that’s why we are out of the Challenge Cup.

There’s no doubt losing the centre/wing duo of Jack Welsby and the influential Mark Percival to injury was a major disruption, however there was still more than enough talent to get the job done.

Kristian Woolf couldn’t hide his disappointment after the game, and admitted his team were far from their best, despite at times showing their class. But it was the Wolves who took their chances and ran out 20-18 winners.

Unfortunately for the second year running we have gone down to the cup holders, who now face Salford Red Devils in the semi-final in order to make their third final in a row.

Super League title sponsors Betfred now have Warrington 6/4 favourites to retain the trophy, with other semi finalists Wigan are 13/8, followed by Leeds at 4/1 with Salford the 8/1 outsiders.

So what went wrong at the AJ Bell stadium on Saturday in front of the BBC cameras?

Well, the Saints certainly looked like they meant business from the start with Jonny Lomax crossing for the first try after six minutes following some magical offloads from Mark Percival in the build up.

After the conversion and an additional penalty added from Lachlan Coote, the Saints looked well in control at 8-0.

However, the Wire had other ideas as they started their comeback at 30 minutes, and following a try and an assist from man of the match Anthony Gelling, and a break away Matty Ashton try, they went into the interval 16-8 up.

The Betfred Super League champions came out fighting, but following two spectacular finishes from wingers Grace and Naiqama we fell short. One moment in the game that has caused a bit of controversy is Warrington’s final and Josh Charnley’s second try.

The ball ricocheted off the head of Gelling into the hands of Charnley who strolled over in the corner.

Saints gaffer Woolf has questioned the decision and thought the ruling should have been pulled back for accidental offside.

However, my take and the ruling says ‘play on’ providing Charnley came from behind Gelling which he did hence the video referee allowing the try to stand.

Table-toppers Saints now have a well deserved break until we face Wigan next Tuesday.

No doubt this time will be used wisely to both freshen the players up and hopefully repair a few injuries ahead of a busy run-in, but also work on a few parts of the game that need slight improvement.

But as disappointing as it is being dumped out of the Challenge Cup, all focus must now aim towards Super League success and retaining our title come Old Trafford in Nov...and we know if the team play to their potential it’s in our hands. Keep the faith!