PILKINGTON Recs claimed their first win back in the NCL Premier Division with a closely-fought 14-10 win over Lock Lane.

The Castleford-based side started the faster of the two, and claimed the first try with a brilliant break from Chris Siddons supported by Tom Sowerby to get the try. Oliver Bloomer missed the conversion.

It was a bit of an arm-wrestle after that for the rest of the first half, but Pilks struck after back-to-back penalties. Chris Clayton managed to find his way over after being put through by Danny Lynch, on for the injured Kyran Knapper. Andy Knapper kicked the conversion meaning Pilks lead 6-4 at the break.

The game was then delayed by almost an hour, as referee Joe Turner was injured following a collision with a Lock Lane player in the build up to Clayton’s try. His replacement was Super League referee Liam Moore.

When the game got back underway, it was Pilks grabbed that all-important first try of the second half as they spread the ball well and found Josh Lynch in the corner. Knapper missed the conversion this time, but it was a six-point lead for Pilks.

But Lock Lane were not done there, as they spread the ball well following a penalty, and the ball was grounded by Alex Palmer. Bloomer kicked the conversion for a level game.

It was a tense final few minutes, neither side was prepared to give up anything or attack or defence.

The match was settled by two moments of indiscipline from the visitors, as Knapper slotted over two penalties to confirm victory.

That wasn’t the end of the story though, as Lock Lane pushed for that crucial score. It all came down to a scrum for the visitors around 30m out, and it was the final play of the game. But some brilliant defence from Pilks forced them back and with that, the referee blew for full time.

It was a hard-earned victory for Pilks, their first in the Premier Division since a 36-24 win over Wath Brow Hornets in September 2017.

They return to action next Saturday when they welcome Siddal to Ruskin Drive.