Liverpool St Helens 22 Heaton Moor 26.

Moss Lane was treated to yet another entertaining and exciting game in the ADM Premiership as LSH narrowly lost to a sprightly and well organised Heaton Moor side. This was always going to be a close encounter following LSH’s one point win at the Moor and so it proved.

The visitors took the lead with a try in the right hand corner after 14 minutes before LSH hit back with a try from Darren Wilson picking up on a strong break from Dave Cunliffe to race home from 20 yards. Alex McBride converted. The skipper started the game in unfamiliar territory at outside centre, enabling young Oscar Fearns to move up from the 2nd XV to make his debut at scrum half. The lad can be well pleased with his efforts as can Sam Walker making his debut on the left wing.

In an even contest, Heaton Moor went back in front scoring unopposed from a breakaway on the half way line, converted for a 7-12 lead. Just before the break a fine move by the LSH back row saw John Arnold charging to the line, passing to Sam Ward who offloaded to Danny Webster for the try. 12-12 at half time.

The second half progressed much as the first with the visitors edging ahead again in the 53rd minute, a lead cancelled out after 67 minutes by a try from Dave Cunliffe, charging over the line after a pass from Wilson, after significant LSH pressure. This levelled up the game at 19-19.

LSH continued to take the game to the opposition and were rewarded with a penalty after 74 minutes, converted by McBride to put them three points in front. Heaton Moor in turn immediately hit back when the LSH defence seemed to be caught unawares as once again a try was scored from half way, unopposed. Converted for a 22-26 score line.

In a frantic finale, there was still time for one last LSH attack producing two disallowed tries, including one claimed with the ball against the goalpost padding and a penalty which had to be ran, all to no avail.

LSH’s next home game is against Littleborough on 16 March 3pm.

Oldham 13 West Park 11.

West Park can count themselves unlucky to lose this important game which they could have and should have won despite not always playing to their full potential , occasionally

lacking composure with ball in hand. The match was a rather stop start affair, refereed somewhat uniquely by a visitor from Holland, whose interpretations were often questioned

by both sides.

Early possession and pressure from the home side was readily contained by the visitors, and as they settled into the game Park took the lead as their forwards turned over the ball in midfield

to feed winger Littler, whose 50 metre break was finished off in style by supporting centre Green, the try being unconverted. The visitors added to their score with a converted penalty from Holland,

and shortly afterwards were awarded another penalty which the referee subsequently reversed, giving a puzzled flanker Cozens a yellow card.

Oldham took the initiative with the extra man, and a drive from their forwards , though halted before the visitors try line, saw the referee award a penalty try, leaving the half time score just one point in

favour of the visitors.

The conditions worsened considerably in the second half, the home side taking full advantage of a strengthening wind to try and pen Park in their own 22 area, but in particular Pape , Littler and Holland

returned the ball well to contain the pressure . The visitors were denied another try for an adjudged double movement in crossing the line by Basley, but added to their score with a successful penalty

by Holland to give them a 4 point margin.

The home side were obviously rattled , and gave away 3 in-field penalties in quick succession, but in a game which at no time was ever overly robust, Park’s hooker Sterry was shown a red card for an alleged

slap of an opponent. Oldham closed out the game with two additional successful penalties to take points from the visitors denting their top of table league position.

With no game next week, Park’s next match sees them travel to Heaton Moor in two weeks time for an increasingly important re-arranged fixture, kick off 3pm.