THATTO Heath’s Open Age Section got off to the perfect start on Saturday when their National Conference League Premier Division (NCL), North West Men’s League (NWML) Premier Division and NWML Division Two sides all won their opening league matches of the season.

The NCL side scored an 11-8 victory away to Egremont Rangers, turning around a 8-0 deficit at half time with two tries from Matty Norton, one Bobbie Goulding conversion and two drop goals to win 11-8.

Goulding also won the Man of the Match award.

The NWML Prem side won a repeat of last seasons Gran Final with a 22-12 win over Orrell St. James at Close Street.

Thatto led 16-6 at the break through tries from Brad Pinder, Nathan Ashurst and Shaun Quinn and two goals from the latter.

A Second half try from Jonny Rea and a Shaun Quinn goal sealed the win. The man of the match award went to Tom Rigby.

The Nwml Division Two side scored a 30-12 win at home to Wigan Bulldogs.

Tries from Bob Hadwin (2), Rob Gormley, Chris Hull, Phil Asson and Dave Meadows, and goals from Phil Asson and Ben Smith (3) sealed victory.

The man of the match award went to Ben Smith.

This week the NCL side entertain Rochdale Mayfield in Round 3 of the Challenge Cup; the Nwml Prem side travel to Hunslet Club Parkside for a Barla National Cup Quarter Final; whist the Nwml D2 side entertain Eccleston Lions at home.

CLOCK Face Miners fell short with a 24-20 loss away at Shaw Cross Sharks despite a Luke Leyden hat-trick in their NCL divison 2 opener.

Clock got off to great start when Leyden went over for a try in the corner in the early stages of the match.

However, Shaw Cross pulled a try back when they went over under the sticks following a Clock error.

Ten minutes later and Shaw Cross were in again but, Clock edged in front when a set play from the scrum sent Karle Hunt over.

Ian Webster converted both tries to give Clock a 12-10 half time lead.

Shaw Cross edged into the lead when they scored within a minute of the restart. They srtetched their lead to 22-12 with another converted try but, a second Leyden try pulled Clock back to 6 points. A Shaw Cross penalty edged them further in front before Leyden went in for his third to get Clock within four points.

Clock Face A- team however, got off to a blistering start in the NWML with a 40-0 hammering of Golborne Parkside.