PILKINGTON Recs claimed a first day victory in a classic at Ruskin Drive 36-30 over York Acorn.

It was a topsy-turvy affair, although Pilks were never losing throughout the game.

After both sides traded penalties in the first few minutes, it was Pilks who crossed first as Tez Rileymanaged to barge his way over from close range. Kyran Knapper added the conversion for a six point lead.

Just ten minutes later, Pilks had doubled their lead after Riley scored again after showing clever footwork to cross the line. Knapper was once again on target for a 12 point lead.

Then straight from the kick off, Knapper managed to successfully kick a 40/20 to give Pilks the field position. It was a double whammy for York as Jake Calam was sent to the sin bin for kicking the ball away.

From the resulting set, Cameron Brown managed to grab himself a debut try after spinning his way over. Knapper once again was on target with the boot for an 18 point lead.

Pilks were in the ascendency, but one pass too many saw the ball picked up by Lewis Brown, who went 80m to score under the posts. Anthony Chilton scored the conversion to cut Pilks lead by six points.

The visitors could sense a chance, and five minutes later they got another try as Reece Rushworth managed to bundle his way over the line. Chilton was on target again with the kick to leave just one try in the contest.

Then a kick upfield was not dealt with by stand in full back Jonathan Frodsham, who was there after Ryan Hilliard came off with a hamstring injury, and the resulting scramble saw Rushworth go over for his second try of the game right on half time. Chilton was again on target to level the scores in what was the last act of the first half.

The second half started quite scrappily with both sides vying for field position. However, it was Pilks who got the first try of the half to re-establish their lead as Ryan Liptrot found his way over. Knapper scored again to make it a six point lead.

And then from the next set, Chris Clayton managed to barge over. Not long before, Clayton was off having treatment for a shoulder injury. Knapper scored again to open up a 12 point lead again.

But with 10 minutes to go, York were keen to prove that they were not done yet, and they got another try as Tom Hill managed to spin his way over. Chilton scored the conversion to bring them back to within a try of Pilks.

However, Pilks were able to cure any nerves being felt at Ruskin Drive as they grabbed another try as Jamie Smith capped off his man of the match performance by grabbing a try. Knapper once again scored the conversion to leave York needing two converted tries in the last five minutes to grab a point.

They did get one of those tries as Josh Thompson out jumped Luke Riley to touchdown. Chilton nailed the quick conversion to make for a tense finale.

Pilks would see out the final bit of pressure and claim a win at the first attempt this season. They will look to back this up with a win in the double header at Ruskin Drive next Saturday against Saddleworth Rangers