RUGBY UNION: LIVERPOOL St Helens continued their great adventure in the Lancashire Leagues ADM Premier Division with a first time visit to Aldwinians.

They returned to Moss Lane with the job done after a 29-11 triumph.

This was a day however, when LSH were far from their best. That they weren’t, was partly due to the blustery conditions causing problems for both sides but mainly, as on previous occasions this season, because their strong and effective defence got them out of trouble. As it was they were 5-3 down after 20 minutes before reaching half time 8-5 in front, courtesy of an opportunist blindside run from Darren Wilson to score unopposed.

The weather worsened in the second half, as LSH seemed to get better. Six minutes into the half saw a decent attack continued by Matt Cunliffe before he was pulled up just short of the line only for flanker Chris Hull to finish off to dive over for the second try. 5-15. Aldwinians then strung a few moves together and took advantage of two simple penalties to reduce the arrears to 11-15 by the 54th minute.

Thereafter LSH assumed control with a fine try down the left flank from winger Alex McBride, converted by him from the touchline 11-22. With less than a handful of points separating four teams at the top of the league the need for a fourth try was crucial. No surprise then that in the 70th minute the skipper literally took matters into his own hands and from a scrum 30 yards out nipped around the blindside and looped round to score under the posts.

On Saturday LSH are at home to Littleborough 2.15pm.

St Helens Star:

Meanwhile West Park defeated Didsbury Toc 18-14 to continue to head the ADM Premier Division.

Two Jack Holland penalties put Park in control.

They increased their lead after a fine break by centre Green was carried on by winger Littler who weaved his way over for try which once again Holland converted.

Ainsworth replaced the injured Rosney and Potter took over after a workmanlike and effective stint

from Cozens. Later Williams and Thompson replaced Sterry and Pape

Continuing to press, but always aware of the visitors wind- assisted ability to counter-attack from deep,

West Park eased the situation for themselves after flanker Whitty powered over from close range following a concerted passage of forward pressure.

The conversion from wide out was understandably missed, but the 18 point lead with 15 minutes remaining proved insufficient to guarantee the game.

The visitors resorted to a sustained and understandable ruck and maul style of play, breached the home defence twice.

Park can take good heart from some excellent and strength sapping defence in the latter stages, a repeat of which will hopefully be rewarded on Saturday when they travel to Heaton Moor.

St Helens Star:

FOOTBALL: PILKINGTON swept aside top four side Middlewich Town at the Arcoframe with a resounding 6-1 victory.

They got the perfect start when Adam Dixon gave them the lead within 70 seconds with his shot curling into the top corner from just outside the box.

Further first half goals came from Luke Sephton and Callum Barry.

Pilks came out in the second half with the same desire to ensure they completed the job and were 4-0 up within minutes of the restart with Taylor firing it into the bottom corner.

Barry grabbed his second and Boylan completed his man of the match performance when he unselfishly passed sideways for Sephton to finish into a open goal.

This was a rampant performance by Pilks against a team who sit only two places below them in the title race.

Billinge came away from Egerton Youth Club with nothing on Saturday after they were beaten 4-0 by Altrincham Reserves.

While Altrincham deserved their victory the result was harsh on The Storks as they were still in the game with 12 minutes to go.

Due to the weather conditions the game was switched onto the 3G pitch at Egerton and that undoubtedly helped the young Altrincham side who are the most skilful outfit in the Cheshire League.

This coupled with the fact that the visitors were without nine regular players through injury and availability meant that it was always going to be an uphill struggle for the Billinge youngsters.

In fact, they almost went behind in the third minute when Joe Stanley was caught on the ball by Dontai Gabidon.

However, as he bore down on goal but Joe Taylor was quick out of the Billinge goal to produce an excellent save at the feet of The Robins lively winger.

Stanley went on to have an excellent game as a makeshift centre-back and it was his excellent ball out of defence a minute later that found Rio Gill who seemed to get the better of his defender but was penalised for a foul.

On seven minutes Taylor had to be alert to deny Gabidon as he again bravely dived at the winger’s feet.

Billinge were beginning to get their passing game together and on 11 minutes Ryan Platt hit a fine 25-yard effort just wide.

There was more good football from The Storks that resulted in a fine run and cross by Shaun Brady that nobody could quite get on the end of.

At the other end, Taylor tipped over a fine effort from Rhain Davis.

Billinge appeared to be coping well with Alty’s intricate passing game and were causing problems on the break with Brady and Kyle Ross nothing going close and young Gill closing down at all times.

On 34 minutes Brady had Billinge’s best chance that far when a fine Stanley header found Richie Allen who flicked the ball into his path but Callum Jones saved well.

The home side finished the half strongest as Neil Monaghan fired a shot from distance just over the bar before Stanley blocked an effort from Jones.

The second-half began with a heavy rainstorm and kick-off was held up as the referee asked the Billinge supporters to vacate the far side of the ground as their presence was affecting the assistant referee!

It was the Billinge team however that started the half more dominantly as Ross produced a superb run and cross that evaded Gill but ended up at the feet of Brady; unfortunately, the midfielder couldn’t get a shot off as he was closed down by two Altrincham defenders.

The Storks defence had looked solid all afternoon but on 54 minutes a poor defensive header from Alex Worthington let in Davis who tapped the ball home to open the scoring.

From the restart, Billinge went down the other end when Stanley sent a lovely long pass to Jake Ball who headed the ball across to Gill.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough pace on the ball and Gill could only guide his own header into the arms of Jones.

On 67 minutes it was almost an identical move but this time another Stanley pass this time found Gill who headed the ball to Allen who brought a good save out of Jones.

Billinge were dealt a blow when Brady succumbed to a knee injury he had tried to shrug off and on 78 minutes Altrincham doubled their lead.

The Storks who were pressing for an equaliser were caught on the break as Platt was left one-on-one with Gabidon; the winger went past him and crossed to substitute Max Pouncey who stroked the ball past Taylor and into the Billinge goal.

St Helens Star:

Three minutes later Gabidon was both provider and finisher as he skipped through the Billinge defence and slid a shot past Taylor to make it 3-0 kill the game off.

It was 4-0 in injury time as Billinge were caught out by a short corner that saw ex-Stork and Wigan Athletic player Monaghan make it 4-0.

Billinge manager Matt Potter was upset at the final whistle and especially unhappy with the goals conceded saying, “In my opinion, Altrincham are the best team in this division but we let ourselves down with the goals we gave away.

“We honestly thought we’d get something out of the game and with 12 minutes to go and us pressing I felt it was just a case of when we would score.

“Giving how Altrincham play, switching the game to the 3G pitch was obviously to their advantage but that’s just one of those things outside of our control.

“As it is we just have to train this week and go into the Egerton home game next week with a positive attitude.”