LIVERPOOL St Helens made their first ever visit to the scenic setting of Littleborough RUFC, nestling under one of the magnificent M6 viaducts at the top end of Hollingworth Lake, the next stop on their new adventure in the ADM Leisurewear Premier Division.

A slightly weakened team made the journey, including ex club captain Phil Kearns at scrum half and club chairman Tommy Jackson on the bench, but after 40 minutes no one would have believed it.

After 80 minutes it became a bit clearer and they came away with a 37-22 win.

In a tremendous display of running rugby, made possible by a set of forwards winning almost every line out and 50/50 ball, LSH ran in five tries, quite literally.

Four of the five tries came down the left wing where Josh Lynch, at outside centre, and Alex McBride had a field day.

They both scored two tries each and featured prominently in each other’s tries.

The fourth try, and LSH’s fifth, just before half time was the pick of the bunch, with Lynch on the receiving end of a pinpoint pass from Dan Parkes passing to McBride on the wing.

The youngster drew his man before passing back to Lynch who did the same and passed back to McBride to race over to score.

The Lynch McBride show was interspersed by a fine solo try from stand-off Dan Parkes racing over 45 yards after an interception.

With McBride slotting a penalty and landing three conversions LSH reached the break 34-0 in front.

The second half was a completely different story. Almost as if the home side had somehow managed to smuggle on 15 replacements and to their great credit, they completely bossed proceedings so much so that the first time LSH entered their 22 was in the 80th minute. During that time they denied LSH possession and registered four tries of their own to earn a well-deserved bonus point. McBride capped a fine day by kicking a penalty in the 80th minute.

On Saturday LSH host West Park at Moss Lane. Kick off 2.15.

Ruskin bounced back from defeat at Liverpool University last week, with a 92-14 win over Oxton Parkonians. Straight from the kick off Ruskin took the game to Parkonians with Griffiths and the rest of the pack making large inroads into Parkonians territory, the first try was not long in coming as tom lea swept over out wide, this was followed by further tries from last years returning skipper Dyson and vice captain Westhead, Griffiths, Fogarty and Owen to make the half time score 40 – 0.

The second period started better for Parkonians who quickly scored two converted tries, these were to be their last points, as Ruskin asserted constant pressure and as the Parkonians defence crumbled ran in a further eight tries with hat-tricks for Westhead and Dyson and a brace from promising winger Pilkington, Owen and Lea completed the scoring for a well deserved win.

Ruskin once again showed their natural ability to score tries in this relatively easy win, but must continue to improve in many aspects of the game to achieve the consistency that the coaching team desire.