ST HELENS hopes in the Unibet European Championship ended at the last-16 stage.

Dave Chisnall joined Michael Smith in bowing out in round two in Dortmund, while Stephen Bunting was dismissed in the opening session.

Pictures: Kelly Deckers/PDC

Although Chizzy defeated former world champion Adrian Lewis 6-5 to progress initially, Gerwyn Price proved to be a step too far on Saturday night.

The Welshman, who ended the hopes of Kyle Anderson in the first round, won through to his first European Championship quarter-final with a 10-5 success.

After opening the tie with a 180 as he broke in the opening leg, Price maintained his advantage in the early stages before pulling clear from 4-3 to lead 8-3 with the aid of checkouts of 90, 72 and 126.

Chisnall hit back to 8-5, but a 70 finish from Price moved him a leg away from the win before he took out 86 to seal his last-eight spot.

Price, also a quarter-finalist in the World Matchplay and World Grand Prix this year, played the tie with a new set of darts, following his suitcase being lost when returning from Dublin earlier this month.

"I was a bit anxious - I didn't know how these darts were going to go," said Price.

"I haven't been scoring very well but I finished well.

"I changed my darts again today because I wasn't scoring very well with the other set that I had, but to come out with a 180 was a good start and I built from there."

Chisnall produced a brilliant 157 checkout in the deciding leg of his first-round contest with Lewis.

Former champion Lewis had held a narrow 5-4 lead as a tight contest moved towards its culmination, but he crucially missed one match dart at tops in the 10th leg before Chisnall levelled and then edged the decider.

Smith, meanwhile, produced a professional display to defeat Ireland's Steve Lennon 6-3 in the first round.

But he then disappointed against Joe Cullen as the Yorkshireman capitalised.

The Shanghai Darts Masters winner missed 17 darts at doubles in the opening four legs as Cullen took command.

Smith did manage to hit back to 5-4.

However, he was unable to level as Cullen earned breathing space once again before landing legs of 14 and 11 darts to pull clear before sealing the win with a 132 bull finish.

Darren Webster out-lasted Bunting in an 11-leg thriller to secure a second round spot 6-5.

A 121 finish helped Webster into a 3-1 lead before Bunting hit back by taking out 116, and the former Lakeside Champion also capitalised when his opponent burst an attempted 142 finish in leg seven.

However, it was Webster who was stronger as the game went to a decider, landing a 180 before taking out double 12 for a 14-darter.