THREE second-half goals from Billinge were enough to see off a spirited Denton Town side at Barrows Farm on Saturday.

In a disappointing first 45 minutes, where despite dominating possession Denton created little, it was The Storks that had the more clear-cut efforts with Phil Dearden and Chris Fairhurst going close.

Fairhurst may feel he should have done better with his efforts as firstly - on 17 minutes - he shot weakly at the keeper.

Then five minutes later after a fantastic long-ball from Billinge debutant keeper Kain McGaughey had found Dearden who knocked it neatly into Fairhurst’s path the lively striker hit his shot just wide.

The first-half had been a slightly turgid affair the second period was the opposite with both sides threatening from the whistle.

The Storks broke the deadlock on 54 minutes.

Neil Monaghan ­— who was becoming an increasing influence in midfield ­— went on a superb mazy run that took him to the dead ball line before he screwed in back right into the path of Dearden who smashed the ball home from eight yards.

Billinge were now beginning to dominate possession as Monaghan shot over from distance on 67 minutes and Dearden went close moments later as they looked to extend their fragile lead.

With 20 minutes remaining Amankwaa again tested keeper McGaughey who pulled off another excellent save.

This piece of action was the last real threat from Denton as most of the action shifted into the visitor’s half.

Billinge substitutes Dean Jones and Matt McCabe increased the tempo as Fairhurst again went close after good work from Ryan Platt.

While The Storks were quite comfortable with the ball it wasn’t until the final minutes that they could truly relax.

McCabe chased a ball on the edge of the box, collected and passed to Monaghan who drew a foul out of Denton’s man-of-the-match Myhun Seol 20 yards out.

Monaghan dusted himself down and took the kick himself placing the ball over the wall and into the top corner to double Billinge’s lead.

There was still time for more action as Curtis had a long-range effort blocked before Dearden made it seven goals in five games for himself as he burst through the Denton defence from forty yards out before skilfully placing the ball into the corner of the net from 15 yards to make the final score 3-0 to Billinge.

The win keeps the village side in third position in the Cheshire Football League Premier Division, just two points behind current leaders Altrincham Reserves.

Reflecting on the victory Billinge chairman John Evans said, “It will good to get August out of the way.

“There have been a lot of changes at the club - on and off the pitch - and it has been a big ask playing so many games in a month.

“To come towards the end of this period with our first and reserve teams sitting in third place in their respective divisions is a massive credit to the players, management and all at the club.

“It sets us up nicely for the remainder of the season - and with just one game a week from now on - (it) means director of football Geoff Parr and manager Matt Potter will be able get to work with the players on the training pitch leading hopefully to continued success.”

This Saturday Billinge visit second-placed Egerton, 3pm.