PILKINGTON will be bitterly disappointed as they slipped up at home in their last game of the season at the Arcoframe stadium.

Pilks had a shocking start and were trailing 1-0 to West Didsbury & Chorlton Reserves within three minutes when a corner flew straight in at the back post. For the first 30 minutes Pilks were unable to gain control of the game and despite a few half chances for Graham Boylan, Luke Sephton and Matty Taylor they didn’t threaten.

Finally, with ten minutes left of the half they came to life – firstly Taylor spun away from his marker and his cut back was put away by Sephton but amazingly the referee felt that this was offside and promptly disallowed the goal.

A minute later and Pilks were level. A long through-ball found Boylan who equalised and almost straight from the kick off Taylor won the ball back and squared it to Sephton to make it 2-1.

Within two minutes of the restart Pilks had stretched their lead when Taylor’s shot across the keeper nestled into the bottom corner.

You would have felt that Pilks should go on and win the game but some awful defending let West Didsbury straight back in it a minute later.

Pilks had further chances to put the game to bed when Ben Maddocks went through but couldn’t quite go round the keeper and Taylor put it wide from Fidan Hjdari’s free kick.

Despite the chances Pilks were always struggling to control the midfield and on 60 minutes West Didsbury were level.

Pilks now laid siege on the opposition as the sought the winner, however more shocking defending saw them go 4-3 down with only 10 minutes left.

Pilks pushed and pushed for the equaliser but a combination of poor finishing and good saves was preventing this.

Finally with the last kick of the game they got the point.

As Rory Campbell’s shot rattled the bar, Maddocks arrived in the six-yard box to scramble to ball over the line.

Relief for Pilks that they had rescued a point but as they chase promotion it remains to be seen how crucial it will be.