SAINTS maintained their winning start to Super League with what was eventually an emphatic 30-12 triumph, but it took some special plays to break open what was a tight game for the first 40.

Centre Mark Percival, ignored largely by Wayne Bennett during the World Cup, stole the show with a well-taken hat-trick.

There were some flashes of what Danny Richardson is capable of, particularly late in the game and once again we saw another industrious effort from Dom Peyroux.

The big-hitting second rower certainly left his calling card on Wire prop Dom Crosby with one particular bone-cruncher.

He probably pushed Luke Thompson as the pick of a forward pack that knew that they were going to have to earn their corn against a big Wolves pack.

And James Roby poked his nose through when needed and constantly capitalised on a back-pedalling defence.

Although Saints opened the scoring early doors when Mark Percival collected a neat pass from half back Danny Richardson to cross, any notion that this would be easy was soon dispelled.

Wire came back with a vengeance and Saints had to repel a number of repeat sets, with the kicking game forcing a couple of drop outs.

However, Saints held firm – often helped by Warrington errors, however, with 25 minutes on the clock the game was level.

A high kick wide was knocked into the hands of Toby King – who answered some of the harsh criticism levelled at him this week – by collecting and touching down.

Stef Ratchford slotted over from the touchline and the game remained a tense affair.

With Wolves’ defence proving tough to break down, Saints opted to kick a penalty goal on the half hour mark.

That is how it stayed at half time – with Saints knowing that they were in a physical battle.

It was one that they were equal to.

Saints again started the second half strongly, capitalising on a shocking error from Tyrone Roberts from the kick off, to hand great position to attack from.

The outstanding James Roby spied his chance from dummy half to stretch over. Richardson’s conversion pushed it out to 14-6.

But the game was thrown back into the melting pot on 54 minutes when the Wolves cashed in on a Roberts kick wide, which Tom Lineham palmed into the hands of Harvey Livett.

Ratchford struck the touchline conversion and it was a two-point ball game.

Saints then lost Alex Walmsley after he tried to put a big shot on Mitch Brown, coming off worse with what Holbrook explained after was pain to his head, shoulder and arm.

It took a moment of class to put Saints back in the driving seat, with Jonny Lomax finding Ben Barba, whose delayed passed sent Percival darting over.

Percival then crossed for his hat-trick after Richardson was blocked in initially on the last and then pierced the line.

He dashed through and placed the kick wide for Percival to race on to.

Richardson’s goal made it 24-12 with 12 minutes to play.

Percival returned the compliment, threading a kick into the middle for Richardson to race on to.

The half back tagged on the goal to wrap up the night’s work.