“A DEVOTED, loving and caring father and brother”. That is how the family of murder victim Christopher Honnor have described him.

The 40-year-old father-of-two died after he was shot in the chest in a flat on Warrington Road in Prescot at around 11.10am last Thursday (October 13).

In harrowing scenes, he staggered out of his flat above a row of busy shops, including an off licence and florist before collapsing outside.

Christopher Strettle (43), from Park Avenue in Eccleston Park has been charged with murder and 41-year-old Lesley Strettle, of the same address, has been charged with assisting an offender.

They appeared at South Sefton Magistrates’ Court last Saturday (October 15).

In a statement released this week, Mr Honnor’s family said: “He lived life to the full and enjoyed socialising; he was well known within the local community and was a popular character, being born and bred in Prescot.

“He was well known as a practical joker and would always have the ability to make people laugh. He was generous and always willing to help others.

“After leaving school he trained as a mechanic, which fuelled his love of cars and motorbikes.

“He worked as a mechanic with his friends on their bikes and would help out in the pit lanes at weekend races.

“He loved his pet dog Jay and enjoyed walking him. His family have taken some comfort from the lovely response within the community who have paid their respects through the numerous cards and well wishes.

“The family would like to thank the community for their support and the police investigation team.

They ask that their wishes be respected to enable them the space and time to come to terms with the tragic loss of their much loved Chris. He will be sadly missed.”

He is survived by his two older brothers Geoff and Alan and his daughters Katie and Leah.

A 37-year-old woman from Prescot, who was arrested in connection with the incident, has been released without charge.

Speaking to the Star last week, a woman who works at a shop close by said that in the moments following the shooting, onlookers suspected Mr Honnor was a regular customer who had stumbled over, however it soon became apparent he was seriously injured.

She explained: “As I was coming on shift, a colleague said a customer dashed into the shop saying there was a fellow outside covered in blood.

“When she went outside, the man was already on the floor.”