THE arduous journey over to the Isle of Man was not ideal match preparation which could explain why Douglas were unbeaten at home so far this season.

Douglas started the game and immediately the experience advantage that they had over the youthful Newton side showed.

Newton were pinned in their 22 for the first 20 minutes with the wind in their faces it was a struggle to clear the ball.

Douglas eventually forced their way over in the corner but were unable to convert.

The score was 5-0 and that was how it stayed until half time, only a brief glimpse of space for Newton in a Douglas dominated half.

Newton started the second half a new side with the wind now at their backs they could start to find their feet.

It wasn't long before Newton forced their way over the line.

C. Hallard powered over and managed to ground the ball under a pile of players, the conversion was successful so Newton lead 5-7.

Douglas' reply was swift, another try in the corner but again unconverted to make it 10-7.

The more youthful Newton backs started to shred the Douglas line half way thorough the second half.

Runs from D. Steel and J. Grainger were carving holes and it seemed only a matter of time before Newton would score again.

The score came from an inside ball to A.McKenna, who raced half the length of the field to score to the right of the sticks then convert the try to make it 10-14.

Looking to put daylight between the two sides Newton opted to kick a penalty in Douglas's half, it sailed over and the scoreboard rolled onto 10-17.

Another backs combination later in the second half saw C. Bartley in support to dive over next to the sticks and score, it was converted the score was 10-24.

The final nail was driven in when another inside ball to A. McKenna saw him ride a tackle then spin away to score in the corner, no conversion, 10-29. Douglas grabbed a late consolation try.

Newton will have to step up a gear and a league when they face Ruskin Park next week in the Powergen Junior Vase.