A RESIDENT has died after a house was engulfed by a "devastating" fire, it has been confirmed.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at the semi-detached property on Sandringham Drive, Sutton on the morning of Monday, April 15. 
Crews were on scene shortly before 10am, with two fire engines initially attending. 

At the height of the incident - which saw the blaze take hold on the first floor and the roof space - six fire engines were there and one aerial appliance.

St Helens Star: The house damaged by the fireThe house damaged by the fire (Image: St Helens Star)

Four firefighters entered the house, fighting the flames while searching inside.
One casualty was brought out of the property by firefighters into the care of paramedics and was taken to hospital.

Tragically, the resident's death was confirmed at the hospital.
Emergency services have not released any further details, but it is understood the victim was a woman.

Shocked and saddened neighbours say she was a pensioner who lived alone.

READ > Missing 14-year-old believed to be in St Helens

A joint investigation between MFRS and Merseyside Police has revealed that the fire was accidental and was likely caused by smoker’s materials.

'Our thoughts are with their family and friends'

Area manager Mark Thomas said: “This is a devastating incident, and our thoughts are very much with the family and friends of the person involved.

"I would like also to commend the efforts of our fire control staff and our fire crews who acted quickly to retrieve the casualty and North West Ambulance Service colleagues who made every effort to provide emergency resuscitation for the casualty.

"The investigation initially indicates that the fire started in a bedroom and was likely caused accidentally by smoker’s materials.

"We would advise anyone who does smoke to do so carefully, ensure cigarettes are properly extinguished in a heavy ashtray and please never smoke in bed or when sleepy. If possible, smoke outside or try to give up smoking altogether.

"Smoke alarms had alerted people nearby who did exactly the right thing by calling 999 - please ensure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and check them regularly. If you hear a smoke alarm sounding, dial 999, every second can make a difference.”

MFRS added that firefighters and prevention staff will visit the area to provide vital fire safety advice and complete free home fire safety checks as part of a reassurance campaign over the coming days.