POLICE are looking to speak to this man for information after sexually inappropriate comments were made to a woman in Newton-le-Willows.

At around 6.35 to 6.50am on Tuesday, July 19 it was reported that a woman was approached by a man as she walked alone on Mill Lane close to Willow Road.

The man made sexually inappropriate comments towards her and followed her until she said she was calling police.

The suspect then walked away in the direction of High Street passing The Kirkland Hotel.

CCTV and witness enquiries are ongoing to identify the man responsible, and detectives have issued an image of a man they believe could assist with their investigation.

Inspector Laura Leach said: “Thankfully this woman managed to walk away from a man who continued to follow her and make such inappropriate comments but she was still left distressed by the ordeal.

“Nobody should be subjected to such disgraceful behaviour in our community and we are working hard to ensure that the person responsible is identified.

“We think the man pictured may have vital information to help our enquiries so if you know him, please come forward.

“If you recognise him, or this image jogs your memory about any suspicious behaviour you may have seen on Mill Lane or the surrounding area then please do let us know.

“I would ask anyone who recognises the man or has any information which could assist our investigation to contact us either via DM @MerPolCC or by calling 101 using reference 22000515843.”

You can also pass any information to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

For women who have felt or feel unsafe in public spaces the Home Office has set up a pilot service (StreetSafe | Police.uk (www.police.uk) for anyone to anonymously report public places where they have felt or feel unsafe, because of environmental issues, eg street lighting, abandoned buildings or vandalism and/or because of some behaviours, e.g. being followed or verbally abused.

Please note: 'StreetSafe' is not for reporting crime or incidents.

If something has happened to you or someone you know (including in public spaces online) you can call us on 101 or find out what online reporting services are available at StreetSafe | Police.uk (www.police.uk)