ST HELENS Town recorded their biggest win of the season on Saturday, as they beat the brave travellers from Yorkshire, Steeton FC 4-1.

In the only game in the division to survive the aftermath of Storm Eunice, things got off to a familiar start, with Town applying all the early pressure, but failing to find a goal.

Jamie Apperley came closest for the hosts as he cut inside well, only to see his curling, long range effort rebound off the corner of the goal.

St Helens Star: Dale Korie-ButlerDale Korie-Butler

The Town fans feared another long afternoon ahead when, on the stroke of half-time, and against the run of play, Steeton took the lead. Their first shot on target of the afternoon was spilled by the keeper, and Steeton striker Andrew Briggs was first to react, to give the visitors the lead at half-time.

Town started the second half brightly, and were soon on level terms, after Dale Korie-Butler played a perfectly weighted pass through for midfielder Lewis Hassan to run through on goal, and finish well, for his second in two games.

Town’s naivety, which has been the source of so much of their problems this season was evident again when immediately from the restart the Steeton team had the ball in the back of the net only for the goal to be disallowed for a “less than obvious” offside.

St Helens Star: Stephen BrownStephen Brown

A few nervy minutes passed with Town’s keeper atoning for his first half fumble with a string of fine saves to keep his side in the match. As the half went on, Town reasserted themselves on the game and ended in the ascendency.

First, a determined Apperley tracked back to win the ball, found Ben Cartwright who played a perfect long pass out wide to top scorer Elliott Hughes, who cut inside and drilled a long range effort in the bottom corner, giving the keeper no chance.

St Helens Star: Ben CartwrightBen Cartwright
A few minutes later and Hughes again, in his first game returning from an injury which has kept him out of the team for the past few weeks, rose above his marker to send a looping header over the keeper, and in off the bar.

Town were completely in control by this point, and when Cartwright was fouled on the edge of the box, he stepped up himself to fire a low effort under the wall and into the Steeton net.

Although it’s too late for Town to turn around their league position, they’ll be hoping to take this momentum into a couple of cup runs.

The first of these starts on Thursday night when playoff hopefuls Bacup Borough visit Ruskin Drive for a 7.45pm kick off in the Edward Case Cup.