A PASSER-BY who raised the alarm after a fire had started in a house which led to a woman being rescued from the blaze by firefighters has recalled the experience.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of a mid-terrace property on Loughrigg Avenue, Carr Mill on Saturday evening (November 13) at around 8pm.

After arriving at the scene, crews spoke with neighbours who confirmed there was one person inside and four firefighters entered, wearing breathing apparatus.

They worked to quickly put out the fire and search the property, rescuing a woman from a first floor bedroom and bringing her into the care of paramedics.

Paul Fullard, 46, who also lives in Loughrigg Avenue, called the fire and rescue service after he noticed the smoke alarm going off.

READ > 18-year-old's warning after being taken ill on night out

"I was walking back from the field with the dog, when I heard the lady's smoke alarms going off in her house," said Paul.

"The entire house was in darkness, I looked through the window and saw a faint orange glow and there was a bit of an explosion which must have been something in the kitchen.

"I rang the fire brigade straight away and banged on the door to see if anyone was in."

Paul added: "That's when the neighbours came out and said: 'Is anybody in? Her son has moved out, she'll be in bed on her own upstairs'.

"I kicked the front door in to get her. I was forced back by the smoke but the fire brigade were really quick.

"They turned up with the breathing apparatus on and she was brought out and they got her breathing quite quickly.

"Another couple of minutes and she could have burned to death.

"The fire was in the kitchen, right under her bedroom, it could have been a lot worse."

Paul paid tribute to the emergency services for rescuing the occupant and said he hopes the incident will prompt people to check they have a functioning smoke alarm.

He said: "To be honest I've been overwhelmed with everybody saying 'you're a hero', it's one of them things. She's alright and that's the main thing.

"I'm just thankful she had her smoke alarms working, the message from this is check your smoke alarm and make sure they're working.

"Thanks to the emergency services, the fire brigade were quick and the ambulance service, and the police in closing the road.

"They're a credit to St Helens."

Group manager Mark Thomas, of Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service, who attended the incident, said: “I would like to commend the rapid actions of fire crews that attended the incident on Loughrigg Avenue, St Helens.

"The courage, integrity, and compassion shown by firefighters to extinguish the fire, search for the occupant and rescue the casualty from the property is a credit to Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service.”