IT was FC St Helens that took the bragging rights and the three points in an excellent Derby game at Barrows Farm on Saturday.

The match finished 3-2 to the visitors with FC coming from two goals behind to claim the victory.

Fixtures between the two sides are always feisty affairs and this was no exception with the tackles tying in from the first to last minute.

It was FC that started the game the brighter forcing a corner in the second minute and generally taking the game to the home side.

The first real chance came on 11 minutes when FC's Andy Gillespie shot from close range but The Storks' skipper Zak Riley cleared.

A minute later Billinge were ahead.

Riley - finding himself higher up the pitch - slid a beautiful pass through to Aaron Bowen who slotted the ball past the advancing FC keeper Paddy McLoughlin.

On 16 minutes The Storks had a great chance to double the lead when John Humphreys went on a fine run, pulled the ball back to Richie Allen and although the attacking midfielder slipped the ball fell to Rob Lamont who hit his shot high over the bar.

However, five minutes later Billinge did indeed double their lead.

Allen was fouled just outside the box and from Liam Thomas's free-kick Bowen headed it back to Allen who prodded home from four yards.

FC responded well and on 31 minutes Mick Houghton hit the bar with a header and a minute later they had halved the deficit.

Gillespie had a shot at goal that should have been cleared to safety but the ball instead fell at the feet of Jack Ball who finished superbly.

On 39 minutes the comeback was complete when Billinge again failed to clear their lines with this time the ball falling to Jonathan Lowndes who fired home.

With the teams coming back out at two-a-piece - and after an exhausting 45 minutes - it was no surprise that the second-had started at a slower tempo and became a gritty midfield battle.

In fact there was very little goalmouth action until the 68th minute when FC took the lead for the first time when Lowndes hit a screamer t make it 3-2.

Billinge responded well with Allen having the best chances shooting straight at McLoughlin when through on goal and then having a glancing header saved.

It wasn't to be for The Storks and although they had contributed to an excellent game it was the visitors that picked up the points.

Billinge's man-of-the-match awarded by shirt sponsors PlayerProUk and Brothers Burgers went to Aaron Bowen who superbly led the line, scored the first goal and provided an assist for the second.

After the game The Storks manager Wayne Wardle said: "Naturally I am disappointed with the result but you can’t make mistakes like we did when 2-0 up against the side at the top of the league and expect to win.

"But on a positive note we had a couple of influential and experienced players missing and still pushed St Helens all the way."

There is no game for Billinge next Saturday but the reserves entertain ROMA FC in a Liverpool Premier League First Division with the game kicking-off at 2pm.