PETER Harvey – a member of the all-conquering four-cups Saints team of 1965-66 – celebrates his 80th birthday today.

To mark the occasion the Star pays tribute to Peter – the self-titled Redhead with Fire in his Boots – who still remains a popular figure at the club long after those boots were packed away.

Anyone who has read the afore-mentioned autobiography will note that Peter has enjoyed an interesting life and career, not just in sport.

And he is always happy to share those experiences, say his piece, pass on tips, express an opinion, either in conversation or on Twitter.

Peter was born in Scotland on this day in 1940, the son of a Lancashire coal miner.

Educated at Holy Cross and West Park, then called the St Helens Catholic Grammar School, which was then an eminent rugby union school. That was a sport Peter embraced, going on to represent Lancashire and England Schools in the three-quarters, captaining both teams in the 15-man code.

St Helens Star:

After winning 20 senior Lancashire caps Peter trialled for the senior England team in 1963 but was not selected for the tour to Australia.

Rugby union’s loss would be league’s gain when Peter switched codes with Saints that year and swiftly had the distinction of securing Lancashire caps in both codes.

Although his Saints debut came at stand-off in August 1963, he spent most of that season on the wing, using his pace to cross for 22 for tries and winning his first medal in the Lancashire Cup final win against Leigh at Swinton.

He doubled that Lancashire Cup collection the following year after the 12-4 win over Swinton.

St Helens Star:

Alas, Saints were surprised by Halifax in the Championship final that year – a game in which Peter played on the wing outside Tom van Vollenhoven.

But that must have intensified the side’s hunger as the following 1965-66 season Saints won the lot.

With Alex Murphy moved out to the centres, Peter partnered Tommy Bishop in the halves at Wembley during the 21-2 win over Wigan, then a week later played in the thrashing of Halifax to complete a four-trophy haul.

St Helens Star:

What a team that was – power up front led by the mighty Cliff Watson, guile in the halves and two finishers on the wing in Voll and Len Killeen.

That would be the pinnacle of Peter’s Saints career and he was transferred to Warrington in July 1967, where he would eventually become coach.

But he retained a strong affinity with the Saints - through the Past Players Association and his co-commentating for blind supporters.

And he remains a cheery face and a good conversationalist in the press room on match day - on times past and present.

Current restrictions will have ruled out a big party for the octogenarian, but we will join all those across the borough and beyond in wishing Peter many happy returns.