JUNE saw some bizarre and shocking crimes take place.

So as we prepare for July, we look back at a series of such incidents from St Helens this month.

Illegal rave near Rainford woodland sees four arrested and hundreds moved on by police


St Helens Star: Police are quizzing the pair

The most high-profile police incident this month was arguably the illegal rave held private land between Rainford, the M58 and Kirkby.

Police say they turned away around 200 people in vehicles and on foot who were trying to get to the land overnight.

The illegal rave, a flagrant breach of lockdown rules, left a man with a suspected broken leg and a woman with a suspected broken ankle.

A woman also suffered burns to her legs.

Disabled pensioners left 'scared' after thugs set their cars on fire in the night

St Helens Star:

Readers were disgusted to learn that the victims, who are in their 70s were left feeling "scared and angry" after both of their cars were set on fire on their driveway.

One said: "We heard a popping sound and my wife went over to the window and said 'Your car is on fire'

"I ran downstairs and saw both cars on fire, but my wife's car was parked very close to the house so I ran in and put water over that one first.

"It's left us scared to be honest, we are both disabled and due to get operations soon, so this is just terrible."

Van hits man and garden wall before driving away

A MAN suffered head and leg injuries after being hit by van, which then drove away from the scene.

The incident happened on Sandringham Drive in Sutton at 4.50pm on Wednesday, June 10, police have confirmed.

The van also struck a garden wall. Police have appealed for witnesses.

A police spokesman said: "The 29-year-old man suffered head and leg injuries. The van, which was also in collision with a garden wall, left the scene before emergency services arrived.

Motorist speeds at 110mph before ‘smashing up his car’ when pulled over by police

A MOTORIST was clocked speeding at more than 110mph and ‘smashed his car up’ when he was pulled over by police.

The M62 was briefly closed in both directions while emergency services dealt with the incident between junction seven at Rainhill and junction eight at Burtonwood.

He was stopped after being tailed while hitting the high speeds on the eastbound carriageway at around 3.30pm.

When quizzed, the driver stated that he was ‘trying to get to the service before he ran out of fuel’.

Boy, 16, charged with using a mobile phone to film while riding a motorbike

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy has been charged after reports of a motorbike being ridden in an anti-social manner.

An off-duty police officer spotted a small red motorbike being ridden on Leach Lane, heading towards Clock Face.

The rider had no helmet and appeared to be using a mobile phone to film while riding, say police.

Following an investigation, a 16-year-old boy was interviewed by officers.

He has been charged with using a handheld mobile phone whilst driving; driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence; driving without third party insurance; driving without due care and attention and failing to wear protective headgear.