A MAN is due in court accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm on a 32-year-old St Helens man at Liverpool's Pier Head on Friday night.

Craig Campbell, 26, of Lemon Street in Kirkdale, is due to appear at Liverpool Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Merseyside Police confirmed on Saturday night that the victim had suffered serious injuries.

The incident happened as thousands of Liverpool fans celebrated their club's Premier League title triumph.

On Monday a police spokesperson said the victim "remains in hospital with a  serious facial injury". His condition is described as being stable.

A man was alsp arrested on suspicion of arson after a firework was allegedly thrown at the Liver Building as thousands of Liverpool fans celebrated their club's Premier League win.

St Helens Star:

Large crowds gathered in the city centre (Picture: PA)

A blaze started when the firework landed on a balcony, causing damage worth £10,000 to the iconic building.

Matthew Egglesden, 19 of Turning Lane, Scarisbrick, Lancashire has been charged with causing criminal damage to the Royal Liver building and firing fireworks in a public place, (namely the Pier Head).

He is due to appear at Liverpool Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Meanwhile, police officers were subject to "violent confrontations" and 15 others were arrested for offences of public order, affray and being drunk and disorderly as several thousand supporters gathered at the city's Pier Head.

Merseyside Police Assistant Chief Constable Jon Roy said two officers needed medical treatment for injuries to their backs after bottles were thrown at them as they went to the victim of the assault.

St Helens Star:

The clear-up operation on Saturday (Picture: PA)

He said later a group of about 100 people threw glasses and bottles at riot police as they tried to stop them committing acts of disorder in the city centre.

"Specially trained officers in protective kit had to disperse them and we then had a number of really violent, absolutely unacceptable, incidents of violence and disorder throughout the city centre," he said.

In a joint statement with police and Liverpool City Council, the football club condemned the scenes as "wholly inappropriate".

The statement said: "The potential danger of a second peak of Covid-19 still exists and we need to work together to make sure we don't undo everything that has been achieved as a region during lockdown."

St Helens Star:

Liverpool supporters light flares at the city's pier head (Picture: PA)

Deputy chief executive of the North West Ambulance Service Mick Forrest said crews were sent to 34 emergencies around the city's waterfront and 27 patients were taken to hospital, with three in a serious condition, while seven patients were treated at the scene.

Mr Roy said by the time officers arrived at the Pier Head at about 4pm, around 500 people were already there and within 35 minutes the numbers had doubled and people were continuing to arrive.

He said the decision was made to safely manage the situation after the risk of police intervention was assessed.

A Section 34 dispersal order was later put in place for the city centre, allowing police to disperse the crowds who had gathered.

Mr Roy said a seven-day policing operation was under way to try and prevent further gatherings and CCTV was being examined to identify those involved on Friday.

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson wrote a letter to the people of Liverpool to express his "sadness and disappointment".

He said: "Seeing thousands of people congregating at the Pier Head into the early hours and the ugly scenes shared on social media afterwards was heartbreaking to see.

"Fireworks, flares and tonnes of litter, amount to nothing but disrespect for our city.

"Like many others, I became emotional out of frustration at what I was seeing.

"This mindless behaviour has the potential to damage Liverpool's reputation - both the club's and the city. I don't believe this is how the team would like their achievement to be remembered."

READ> Inside one of the area's most expensive homes - complete with indoor swimming pool

Chief Constable Andy Cooke said the actions of a minority were "not only irresponsible, but criminal".

He said: "For the good of your city, your club, and most importantly those who are at highest risk of dying of this disease, stay at home and keep others safe."