FIREFIGHTERS spent around 90 minutes at a property after a fire broke out in a bathroom.

Crews attended an address on Dunmail Avenue, Carr Mill on Friday, February 7.

Firefighters were alerted at 5.14am and on scene at 5.21am and three fire engines attended the property.

READ MORE > Horrified mum describes how 16-year-old son had knife held to his throat by park robbers

On arrival crews found a fire in the bathroom and, wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters entered the property.

Crews used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

Firefighters ventilated the property and used thermal imaging cameras to make sure there were no further hot spots.

Crews also forced entry to a neighbouring property to check for further smoke spread.

It is believed the fire started accidentally, the fire service said.

A spokesperson said: "The bathroom was completely damaged by fire, with the remainder of the upstairs of the property suffering serious smoke damage.

"The downstairs of the property was also damaged as a result of flooding caused by damaged pipework in the bathroom above. "Crews isolated the stop tap to prevent further flooding."

Crews left the scene at 6.53am.