EMERGENCY services were called after a car went up in flames due to an electrical fault.

A black BMW X5 was seen ablaze on the St Helens Linkway, near to the Tesco roundabout, on Sunday evening (January 12).

READ MORE > Boy injured in 'hit and run'

The fire service attended the scene at 6pm and police directed traffic away from the scene.

A police spokesman said: "We were called at 6pm. There was a report of a vehicle on fire.

"It appears to have been an electrical fault. There were no injuries sustained.

"We left the scene at 6.25pm."