AN inquest has opened into the deaths of two men who died in a crash in Billinge shortly before Christmas.

Dave Culleton, 82 and Keith Brown, 79, were fatally injured after they were struck on Upholland Road in Billinge by a Ford Kuga shortly before 8.15pm on Friday, December 21.

Mr Brown’s wife Ruth was also badly injured in the incident.

The inquest was opened at Bolton Coroner's Court.

Paying tribute to Mr Culleton, his family said: “Our dad Dave was the most kind and caring dad we could wish for, all his life he was a devoted husband, dad and grandad.

St Helens Star:


Paying tribute to 82-year-old David Culleton, his family said: “Our Dad Dave was the most kind and caring Dad we could wish for, all his life he was a devoted Husband, Dad and Grandad.

"Our hearts have been broken and we are utterly devastated that he has been taken in this tragic way.

"He was a man that lived life to the full and was keen on many sports, he was a lifelong Everton fan, a keen golfer, he swam regularly at his local gym and was always out walking in the local area.

"The community of Billinge where he has lived for the last 52 years will miss his smiling face.

"He always had time to have a chat and a laugh with everyone and many people have said how special he was and how much his many friends are going to miss him.

"We would like to thank the emergency services that attended, all the staff from The Hare and Hounds and anyone that helped on the night.

"Our thoughts also go out to Keith’s family and his wife Ruth who was also involved in this terrible incident, Keith was a lovely man and a good friend to our Dad.”

St Helens Star:


The family of 79-year-old John Keith Brown, added: “To our beloved dad, Keith Brown, rest peacefully.

"Much loved grandad and husband of over fifty five years to Ruth. Sorely missed by family and friends."

Anybody with information should contact GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 0161 856 4741, quoting incident number 2764 of 20/12/19, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555111.

The investigation continues and no arrests have been made in connection with the incident.