A FIRE at a terraced property which led to residents being evacuated from their homes is being treated as arson.

Seven fire engines and an aerial appliance were sent to Junction Lane in Sutton at around 7.25pm yesterday, Monday, where the ground floor and the first floor of a terraced building, that had partly been converted into an office, was well alight.

READ MORE > One 'treated for burns' after house fire

Crews used cutting equipment to remove metal shutters to access the ground floor.

St Helens Star:

The fire was then contained on the ground floor, but the blaze had spread to the roof space of the first floor, and firefighters had to remove tiles to get to the flames.

There were concerns over carbon monoxide fumes spreading so residents were evacuated by crews from neighbouring homes.

St Helens Star:

By 11pm, the firefighters had started damping down the property and they were there until around 12.20am.

No-one was injured in the incident.

Police were also in attendance.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said: "At this stage, the fire is being treated as arson and officers are working with Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service to establish the full circumstances.

"Patrols were called at around 7.30pm by the fire service to offer some assistance as they dealt with the fire.

"Luckily the fire was extinguished and no one was injured during the incident, however the property received substantial damage."

If you have any information contact police on 101 quoting 19100416294 or via Twitter @MerPolCC.

St Helens Star:

Pictures by Michelle Galavan