A COURT was told of the movements of murderer Adam Brettle in the wake of the brutal stabbing of his girlfriend Samantha Gosney as he went on the run sparking a two-day manhunt.

Adam Brettle, 24, described as a "controlling and violent" man, pleaded guilty to the murder of Samantha Gosney at her flat on Swan Avenue, Parr.

READ MORE > Adam Brettle jailed for life after murdering girlfriend in act of 'pure butchery'

A judge at Liverpool Crown Court sentenced him to life and said he must serve at least 19 years in prison.

Samantha, a 29-year-old mother-of-two, was stabbed 21 times during the attack on Saturday, November 24, 2018, which a paramedic described as "pure butchery".

St Helens Star:

Adam Brettle, pictured on CCTV, while on the run

On the morning of Saturday, November 24 Samantha was stabbed while she was on the phone to police after calling 999.

In the call she "gave her address and indicated that she wanted Adam Brettle to leave. Brettle's voice could be heard in the background. Ms Gosney then emitted a terrible scream and told the call handler that he had a knife and had stabbed her.

The prosecution added: "It is, quite simply, an horrific and deeply distressing audio recording to listen to".

St Helens Star:

Samantha Gosney

Prosecutor Anne Whyte QC said how after the brutal murder, Brettle was seen leaving the property just three minutes after Samantha's 999 call.

He texted his mother, saying; "mum u need to ring me now Im going to jail".

He encountered a 15-year-old and said he needed £500 and a hotel and "even suggested committing a quick robbery in order to get some cash" and took a bottle of water using it to swill his hands to wash blood off them.

He later said to his dad on the phone: "Ive done something but not telling you until you give me some money" telling him he was at the Toby Carvery at Carr Mill.

His grandmother arrived by car and gave him £150 which was "nothing unusual because he was always asking for cash".

Brettle travelled to Wigan town centre later that day and stayed out drinking until the following day.

At one point in the afternoon, he told his dad on the phone he had killed Samantha, leading to Brettle's family contacting police.

Brettle asked one man at 2pm in Wigan if they could get some cocaine.

Brettle was seen that night outside a bar on King Street, Wigan waving his arms and said: "I am off my head boys" and appeared to be under the influence of something.

READ MORE > Murder victim had told friend her abusive boyfriend 'may one day be the death of me'

By the following morning (Sunday 25), he was at Harry's Bar speaking to one of the barmaids, where his manner was described as "friendly and cheeky and he was laughing and joking with her and also flirting with her".

At one point he said: "I wish my girlfriend had a body like you" and continued to "compliment her" and be "suggestive".

He remained at the bar until at least 3pm that day.

Brettle then travelled to North Wales "by means unknown" and police were called to an attempted robbery of a mobile phone at a Wetherspoons in Rhyl on the evening of Monday, November 26.

Locals had "detained a male because he had apparently been seen snatching a mobile phone from the hand of an unknown male and running off".

Brettle was arrested by officers, initially giving a false name before police established his identity.

He later claimed in police interviews that Samantha was "the controlling personality" in the relationship and denied assaulting her when she returned from her grandmother's funeral.

Giving Brettle a life sentence on Monday, judge Neil Flewitt said: “After assaulting Samantha you did nothing to help but went in search of money, alcohol and drugs.

"Your behaviour after the event demonstrates a callous disregard for Samantha Gosney and a selfish concern for your own welfare.

“Your behaviour after the event leaving her to die alone and without comfort demonstrates a complete lack of remorse."