IT was a brave effort, but Thatto Heath’s Challenge Cup journey came to an end with a 36-10 defeat at home to Dewsbury this afternoon.

Heath, who knocked out North Wales Crusaders in the last round, were very much underdogs going into this tie against the Championship outfit.

They did not get off to the best of starts, when a couple of early errors gifted the visitors field position to pound the line, which eventually cracked when Andrew Gabriel crossed.

However, they eventually got a feel for the game – and once they got their feet under the table and settled they began to ask questions themselves.

A fine break from Jamie Tracey came to nought, but showed Heath there was a way through.

And on 18 minutes a smart kick from Connor Dwyer was collected on the left by centre Matty Norton who scrambled over to level.

Defensively, Thatto put in good set on their own line holding out Michael Knowles but were then undone a couple of sets later when Rob Worrincy crossed on the right.

But back again came Thatto, and they were rewarded for their build up when big prop Mike Stark crashed in from close range.

St Helens Star:

Bobbie Goulding converted to level matters at 10-10 and Thatto cranked up the pressure for a five minute spell before the break.

They had the Rams rocking, during a couple of repeat sets on their line but they could not get over again.

Rams must have had an ear-bashing at the break and came out and posted an immediate response with a kick that bounced fortuitously for the visitors with Lucas Walshaw collecting and driving over.

Former Super League scrum half Liam Finn tacked on the extras.

Heath battled to stay in the game, but when big Sam Kibula crashed over the writing was on the wall.

It would have been a travesty, after a run like this, had the score have run away from them and Thatto battled stem the Rams attack.

With the ball Goulding’s smart kicking allowed Heath to enjoy another spell of pressure but there was no way through.

St Helens Star:

More tries did come with centre Adam Ryder and second row Tom Garratt going over for the visitors.

Alas, the game was halted on 74 minutes when a sickening collision saw Thatto’s Ben Heyes and Rams’ Cameron Leeming knocked out.

After a 25 minute delay while they were treated on the pitch before being taken off on stretchers.

After such a delay and the nature of the knocks, the remainder of the game was played out in an understandably subdued manner with Rams’ Robbie Ward racing through for the last word on the hooter.

Meanwhile, Thatto's NWML team made history over in South Leeds by beating West Hull to win the BARLA National Cup.

Trailing 19-12, Jack Jones one on one steal gave the Heath much needed field position with four minutes remaining.

Jones and Tom Rigby then combined to send Shaun Quinn in for a try to give the Crusaders hope, as they closed West Hull’s lead down to three points  with three minutes left on the clock.

With two minutes remaining, and on Heath’s last attacking set of the game, Shaun Quinn plucked Tom Rigby’s pin point cross kick out of the sky to score the winner.

Heath had trailed 12-8 at the break despite Jones' fine show and will go try, which had cancelled out West Hull’s opening converted score.

Heath had levelled the score early in the second half with Charlie Taylor’s unconverted try.

Shaun Quinn, below, was voted man of the match.

St Helens Star: