THATTO Heath have pulled off a Challenge Cup shock, knocking out League 1 side North Wales Crusaders to go through to round five.

Roared on by a passionate Close Street home crowd Heath survived a late fightback from the Welshmen to win 16-14.

Heath had been in control for most of the game and after going set for set with the visitors took an early lead when, after tapping a penalty, hooker Lewis Foster went in from dummy half on 11 minutes.

Bobbie Goulding tacked on the extras.

Heath tackled well but it took a special effort from full back Heyes to keep Crusaders out.

They were rewarded for their patience up the other end five minutes later when the ball went left for Connor Dwyer to twist over, turning over in the tackle to touch down.

The conversion was missed but Heath had a 10-0 lead.

The visitors, with their big backline carrying the ball strongly, raised their game and on the half hour huge wing Robert Massam forced his way over in the corner.

It stayed 10-4 at half time and the visitors looked dangerous at the start of the second half, helped by back-to-back penalties.

But Thatto withstood that pressure, with their determination in defence backed up by a mature display with the ball.

There was never any sign of panic, with the halves and dummy half controlling the game well off the back of some big forward efforts in which Dwyer showed his class.

Heath’s determination to fight and scrap for every play paid dividends when Max Dudley did not simply chase after a charged down kick, but had the wherewithal to pass it up for the supporting centre Matty Norton to go steaming under the sticks.

Goulding’s goal gave Heath a 16-4 lead on 52 minutes, but the visitors were spurred into action.

Despite some sterling defence, big second row Chris Worrall eventually forced his way over on the right.

Ben Stead chipped over the conversion to cut the deficit to one score.

Once again some determined efforts kept the Heath line intact, with two players held up on the tryline.

The pressure in the last five was all from the Welsh, and eventually that told when big wing Massam went in for his second.

Crucially Stead’s kick missed – but with a minute left the semi pros piled forward.

However, Heath had enough gumption to hold them out to go into the hat with some of rugby league’s biggest names - including Leeds Rhinos from last year's Super League bottom four - for round five.