MANCHESTER City Council have branded the assault on Saints academy player Joe Sharratt an “outrageous incident” adding that “those responsible have shamed Manchester”

Factory nightclub has had its licence temporarily suspended after Saints academy rugby league star Joe Sharratt was seriously assaulted causing a bleed on the brain on Sunday morning.

St Helens Star:

Joe Sharratt, 18, was assaulted outside Factory 251 on Princess Street in Manchester in the early hours of Sunday morning at around 3.20am which left him in hospital.

After video footage was widely shared on social media, the nightclub cancelled its security contractor.

The contractor has also sacked the doormen involved in the incident.

After a request from Greater Manchester Police to act on the matter, the council arranged for a sub-committee to meet today, Wednesday, December 5 where it was decided that the licence would be temporarily suspended pending a full review.

Following a Licencing sub-committee meeting, Executive member for Neighbourhoods for Manchester City Council, Cllr Rabnawaz Akbar, said: “In light of the information heard at the committee, the right decision was made.

"This sends a clear message the council will act decisively if it feels the public is being put at risk."

City Centre spokesman, Cllr Pat Karney, added: “This was an outrageous incident and those responsible have shamed Manchester.

"When, and only when Factory 251 have made steps to ensure this will never happen again will it be allowed to reopen its doors.

“This could have resulted in tragedy and we are thankful Mr Sharratt and Mr Cooper are making a recovery.”

A council spokesman said: "The licence has been suspended pending a full review in 28 days when the permanent fate of the club will be decided.

"The defendant didn't contest that suspension and has cooperated with the council and GMP."

The full review is expected to take place before Christmas but due to scheduling issues may take place in the New Year.

Officials from Saints have visited Joe in the neurology ward at Salford Royal Hospital today and reported they were "pleased to find him sat up in bed and recovering well".

Joe is expected to remain in hospital for the next couple of days but the prognosis is good and he is progressing well.

A statement from Saints said: "The player, his family and the club have been overwhelmed by well-wishers and messages from across the rugby league community.

"We have been truly moved by the support from all areas of the game and we would like to thank everyone who has contacted us at this distressing time.

"Your support really is appreciated by us all."