A PROFESSIONAL rugby league player has been jailed today, Tuesday, for 23 months after attacking three police officers following a high-speed chase which ended in Leigh.

Scott Moore, of Ranworth Drive, Lowton, appeared at Bolton Crown Court where he was convicted for dangerous driving and assaulting three Greater Manchester Police (GMP) officers.  

Prosecuting, Colin Buckle said the chase started when officers spotted the 30-year-old's Mercedes sports car at around 3.55am on October 14, 2016 driving at speed on Chaddock Lane in Worsley.

They turned their car around and followed Moore on to the East Lancashire Road.

The former England international pulled over at a passing garage before rejoining the East Lancs and speeding away.

Moore was driving with no insurance.

Dashcam footage showed the police car driving at 150mph in a 30mph limit past temporary roadworks before turning off at Warrington Road on the Greyhound roundabout.

The police car was then clocked at 100mph as it tried to keep up with Moore.

As the defendant made a right turn, he crashed into the wall of a house leaving the bumper of the vehicle hanging off.

With Moore's car slowing down due to the damage, he stopped at a cul-de-sac on Arrow Street in Leigh.

The two officers in the car, PC Bruce and PC Burtonshaw, tried to restrain Moore, but he fought them off on three occasions and was tasered six times.

During one of the escapes, he fell into a pond fully submerged before getting out and breaking free from officers again.

At one stage, he managed to grab hold of one of the officer's taser.

A third policeman, PC Burrows joined the scene and the three officers managed to finally arrest Moore.

However, PC Burrows suffered a broken bone in his arm during the arrest and has since had two operations with the injury still not fully cured.

PC Bruce was taken to hospital with concussion.

A witness statement from PC Bruce was heard in court about the financial difficulties it had on his life when he has was on half-pay during his rehabilatation.

Mr Buckle said: "This was a sustained and repeated assault.

"In his 21-year career on the front line, PC Burtonshaw said it was the most physical incident that I have ever been involved in.

"PC Bruce has worked in the police for 19 years and never had such a dangerous experience.

"He was fearing for his life."

The court heard how Moore tested positive for cocaine, MDMA and another controlled drug at the time.

Defending, Robert Kearney said Moore had a shoulder injury around two weeks earlier that he was taking prescribed drugs for.

The breakdown of a relationship at the time was also mentioned as well as the remorse he has shown since.

Mr Kearney added: "It was not a sustained and repeated attack.

"The elbows and hand-offs the defendant used were attempts to get away from the officers

"He also required 30 stitches in his head after incident.

"At the time of the incident he was earning £75,000 a year from rugby, had played for England and became the youngest ever player in the Super League at the age of 16.

"He has had this case hanging over him for 17 months and no longer has a contract.

"For someone who has represented their country it has been a fall from grace but he has not felt sorry for himself and has found employment as a joiner.

"He is also drug free and has had psychotherapy.

"The defendant has put his problems behind him, and with his partner expecting a baby later this year, he has a family on the way."

The defence barrister asked the judge to consider giving Moore a two-year suspended sentence.

Addressing Moore in sentencing, Judge Stead said: "You are clearly a very talented rugby player after representing your country.

"By looking at the words that the officers have written in their statements, you were hell bent on evading capture.

"This was in the early hours of the morning but you were still going at high speed through residential roads. 

"You used your rugby player build to fight off officers and get away from them.

"I have considered the defence's plea for a suspended sentence but this was a serious assault committed against a person in public office which led to PC Burrows having two surgical procedures which he has still not recovered from. 

"There will be an immediate term of 15 months for actual bodily harm and eight months for dangerous driving."

Moore has also been banned from driving for two years and must be retested once the ban expires. 

After starting his career at St Helens, Moore went on to play for Castleford, Huddersfield, Widnes, Wakefield and Bradford.